Fairfield vs. Loyola
April 10, 2010
The Game Story:
The #14 Fairfield University menís lacrosse team dropped a 9-4 decision to #9 Loyola University Maryland on Saturday in an ECAC Lacrosse League contest. The loss snaps a five-game win streak for Fairfield, which falls to 6-3 on the year and 3-1 in league play. The Greyhounds improve to 7-2 on the season and 5-0 in ECAC play.

The Greyhounds scored the first three goals of the game, with the first two goals from Eric Lusby at 12:52 and 5:17. Cooper MacDonnell, who assisted on the first goal of the game, scored the third tally, for the 3-0 lead with 2:25 to play in the quarter. The Stags got on the board with 10 seconds remaining in the quarter, as Max Trunz fed Matt Plominski for the goal.

MacDonnell made the score 4-1 just 58 seconds into the second period, and Lusby touched net for the third time on the afternoon, for a 5-1 edge, at the 11:57 mark. Sam Snow wrapped up the first-half scoring, putting home a pass from Doug Kuring, with 10:00 to play.

Trunz opened the second-half of scoring midway through the third quarter, snapping a 17:27 scoreless stretch for both teams. His man-up goal, from a Snow pass, made the score 5-3 Loyola. The Greyhounds got the tally back at the 4:43 mark, on a man-up goal from Collin Finnerty. Loyola pushed the lead to 7-3 just 24 seconds later as Josh Hawkins scored an unassisted tally. Brent Adams scored for Fairfield with only three seconds to play in the quarter, making the score 7-4, but it would be the Stags final goal of the game. Davis Butts and Chris Hurst both scored for Loyola in the fourth quarter to provide the final margin.

Joseph Marra played 59:12 in net for the Stags, missing 48 seconds in the third quarter when he was whistled for a slash. He made nine saves in the game, while allowing eight goals. Charlie Cipriano minded the net for Marra during the 48 seconds, stopping one shot and allowing a goal. Jake Hagelin played the full 60 in net for Loyola, stopping 13 shots, including five in the final stanza.

Both teams took 31 shots in the game, with Loyola holding a 29-27 edge in ground balls on the afternoon. The Stags committed 13 turnovers on the day, causing nine, and clearing 16-19. The Greyhounds had 16 turnovers, while causing eight, and were 22-24 in clears. Both teams scored once with the extra-man, Fairfield going 1-2 and Loyola 1-5.

The Stags are back in action on Tuesday, April 13 when they host Hartford at 4 p.m. on Lessing Field.