Fairfield vs. Ohio State
April 28, 2012
The Game Story:
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State men’s lacrosse team closed out the regular season with an 8-3 road win over No. 13/14 Fairfield Saturday afternoon in Fairfield, Conn. The win, the Buckeyes’ fourth in a row, moves Ohio State to 8-6 on the year and the team finishes second in the ECAC with a 5-1 ledger.

Ohio State and Fairfield (11-3, 4-2/3rd ECAC) will meet again at 10 p.m. ET Wednesday when they face off in the semifinals of the ECAC Tournament in Denver. No. 1 seed Loyola will take on host and No. 4 seed Denver in the other semifinal. The championship game is set for 6 p.m. ET Friday and will be televised live on ESPNU.

Against Fairfield, Ohio State trailed 2-0 in the first quarter but reeled off eight-consecutive goals en route to victory. The Buckeyes shut out the Stags for a 52:35 stretch, from 7:38 of the first quarter until just three seconds remained in the game. Ohio State scored three goals in a 2:02 span to tie the game and take the lead in the first quarter. The squad added three tallies in the second quarter for a 6-2 halftime lead and extended the advantage to 8-2 early in the third quarter. The Buckeyes limited the Stags to 24 shots (six in the first half) and sophomore goalie Greg Dutton made 11 saves.

Freshmen Jesse King and Reegan Comeault, sophomore Tyler Frederick and junior Dominique Alexander each had a goal and an assist for the Buckeyes and junior leading scorer Logan Schuss had two assists. Junior Shawn Kaplan won 8-of-11 faceoffs vs. the Stags.

Fairfield scored the game’s first two goals, with Colin McLinden tallying at 11:11, followed by a John Snellman goal at 7:38. The Buckeyes then scored three goals in a span of 2:02 to tie the game and take the lead. Alexander put Ohio State on the board at 5:30. Frederick scored at 4:27, assisted by Comeault, and then Frederick assisted on a senior Brock Sorensen goal 59 seconds later (3:28). Shots were 10-3 in favor of Ohio State in the quarter, with Fairfield goalie Charlie Cipriano making four saves.

Ohio State continued the run in the second quarter. Just 42 seconds into the stanza, Ohio State converted a man-up chance when King assisted on a Comeault tally for a 4-2 Ohio State advantage. The score remained the same until 7:39 when Schuss set up freshman Turner Evans. The final goal of the quarter was at 2:23, as Alexander assisted on a goal by sophomore Adam Trombley. The teams combined for just nine shots in the quarter, with Ohio State ahead, 6-3. Each team had one save.

Ohio State scored 18 seconds into the third quarter. After a faceoff win by Kaplan, sophomore Joe Meurer picked up the groundball and drove to the cage himself for his second goal of the year. The Buckeyes’ last goal was at 12:52 when Schuss assisted on a King tally. The Buckeyes outshot the Stags, 9-6, with the goalies combining for nine saves; Dutton had five for Ohio State.

The only goal of the fourth quarter came with just three seconds remaining as Sully Smith picked up a groundball and scored for Fairfield. The Buckeyes were outshot, 12-6, in the quarter. Dutton had three saves, with Cipriano stopping five.

Ohio State outshot Fairfield, 31-24, including 16-6 in the first half. Dutton played all 60 minutes, picking up the win with 11 saves in the Buckeye cage. Fairfield’s Cipriano had 13 stops in all 60 minutes.

The Buckeyes won 9-of-15 faceoffs, led by Kaplan who was 8-3. The Stags had the edge in groundballs, 22-21. Kaplan led the Buckeyes with five groundballs, with Dutton picking up four. Ohio State failed on just one clear (17-for-18), while Fairfield was 14-of-17.

Ohio State converted its lone man-up chance and held the Stags scoreless on three chances.