Fairfield vs. Stony Brook
April 17, 2002
The Game Story:
FAIRFIELD, Conn: C.J. Kemp made four saves inside the last seven minutes of play, including two at point blank range, and Garrett Bamann scored the game winner with 42 seconds left to defeat the Seawolves of Stony Brook 10-9 today in non-conference men's lacrosse action on University Field. The win improves Fairfield to 6-4 overall while dropping Stony Brook to 7-5.

The two teams came out of the gate cautious with each team controlling the clock and working the perimeter for goals on their first possessions. Bamann opened the scoring for Fairfield at 13:42 with an unassisted tally, but Matt Campolettano answered at 11:29 to even the score at one apiece. Rookie AJ Califano recorded the next goal, his first for the Stags, at 7:41 with an assist John Kusak, but Stony Brook again answered with an unassisted goal at 3:46 by Denis Scanell. Fairfield's Tom Werney and Justin Geluso would put the Stags ahead 4-2 at the close of the first quarter with goals at 2:01 and 0:12.

Fairfield rattled off three unanswered second quarter goals to build a five-goal lead, but Campolettano stopped the bleeding for Stony Brook scoring a goal with 28 seconds remaining to finish the half down 7-3. Califano, Rob Scipioni, and Matt Buecker recorded the goals for the Stags.

Geluso would build on the lead with a goal at 8:50 of the third quarter, but three Stags defensive miscues allowed the Seawolves to claw their way back and nearly cost Fairfield the game. At 5:17 Kevin Pall scored his first of three second-half goals to begin the rally. Werney scored at 4:35 for Fairfield but Pall's second goal at 3:22 sparked a three-goal spurt that brought Stony Brook to within one. Stephen Conlon would net the first at 1:20, then just 20 seconds later Kyle Pearl scored, and with just one second left in the quarter Campolettano found the back of the net off a one time shot.

Stony Brook carried the momentum at the start of the fourth quarter with Paul's third goal at 12:49, but C.J. Kemp kept Fairfield alive with several stellar saves on quality scoring chances.

With time running out in regulation, Fairfield called time out for their final possession. Fairfield worked the ball below the goal then got it to Buecker in front who's shot created a scramble but was saved only to have the rebound squirt to Bamann who popped it into the empty net.

Bamann would lead the Stags in scoring today with two goals and two assists. He also collected a pair of ground balls, and was one of four Fairfield players to score two goals on the day. Freshman AJ Califano, sophomore Tom Werney, and junior Justin Geluso would also register a pair of goals. Matt Campolettano and Kevin Pall would lead the Seawolves with three goals apiece.

C.J. Kemp was solid in goal for Fairfield as he collected the win with 14 saves. His counterpart, Steve Armsworthy was also sharp making 13 stops for Stony Brook in the loss. Fairfield returns to action this Saturday when they travel to face the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame for their final Great Western Lacrosse League game. The winner of this weekend's matchup will potentially claim the 2002 GWLL title and subsequent berth to the NCAA Tournament.