Fairfield vs. Yale
April 28, 2004
The Game Story:
FAIRFIELD, Conn. - Sophomore Kyle Herman (Northport, N.Y.) registered all of his career-high five goals in the second half of play as the Fairfield University men's lacrosse team dropped a heartbreaker in overtime to Yale University, 11-10, on Wednesday evening at Lessing Field.

Regulation ended in stunning fashion as the Bulldogs, trailing 10-8 with under five minutes to play, received back-to-back goals from Ned Britt, with the game-tying goal coming with 1.7 seconds remaining in the contest. The Eli's Dan Brillman then scored the game-winner 1:07 into the overtime period.

Trailing 6-2 at the intermission, the Stags used a 3-1 run in the third quarter to pull within two of the visiting Bulldogs entering the final stanza. The Stags started the scoring as senior Troy Bamann (Victor, N.Y.), who was positioned behind the cage, hit Herman just outside the crease allowing Herman to score from point-blank range. Just over four minutes later freshman Greg Downing (Auburn, N.Y.), who has registered at least one point in every game this season, scored an unassisted goal as he drove towards goal, beating several defenders and slipped the ball past Eli goalie Jordan Ellis. The final Fairfield goal of the quarter came from senior Tom Werney (Granite Springs, N.Y.) who ripped a shot from 20-yards out off a pass from classmate Matt Baglio (Brightwaters, N.Y.).

Yale opened the final period with a quick goal from Ryan Capilupi to extend their lead to three but just two minutes later Herman got his second goal of the night on one of the most bizarre plays of the season. Ellis left the cage in an attempt to save the ball from going out of bounds, but lofted the ball into the air where it was intercepted by Herman who then scored an empty-netter to cut the Eli lead to two. On the ensuing face-off freshman Brian Gorman (Lutherville, Md.) came up with the ball and went the distance, beating Ellis low to make it a one point game with 12:34 to play.

Fairfield then tied the game and took the lead, 9-8, on back-to-back goals that were carbon-copies of one another as Troy Bamann drove deep into the right hand corner of the field and then centered the ball back to Herman just in front of the crease. Herman's final goal of the evening, coming off the stick of freshman Jacob Olson (Woodstock, Vt.), gave the Stags a two point cushion with 5:03 remaining in the game.

Fairfield dominated in winning groundballs, 41-24 and face-offs as senior Peter Vlahakis (Shoreham, N.Y.) won 16-of-22 attempts and Gorman went 2-for-2 but the Bulldogs held the slight edge in shots, 38-37.

Stag goalie Michael Kruger (Ellicott City, Md.) made 16 saves, including six in the fourth period while Ellis registered 10 on the evening.

Herman's five goals led all scorers while Yale was paced by Scott Kenworthy's three goals.

Fairfield plays its final game of the season this Sat., May 1, as they host Ohio State in a GWLL match-up on Lessing Field at noon.