Georgetown vs. Duke
March 27, 2010
The Game Story:

No. 8 Georgetown Falls to No. 9 Duke, 15-10

Ninth-ranked Duke broke a 9-all tie with one second left in the third quarter and then scored five more times in the fourth quarter en route to a 15-10 win over No. 8 Duke on a crisp, sunny afternoon in front of 2,512 at the Multi Sport Field Saturday.

Georgetown had a two-game win streak snapped and fell to 4-3, while the Blue Devils improved to 6-3 overall; Senior attack Craig Dowd (East Northport, N.Y./Northport) led the Hoyas with one goal and three assists, while junior Max Seligmann (Essex Falls, N.J./Delbarton) added two goals.

The Hoyas had taken an 8-6 lead on a goal from junior attack Ryan Shuler (Bethesda, Md./Georgetown Prep) early in the third quarter, but Duke scored three times in the span of 41 seconds and took a 9-8 lead on an unassisted goal from Zach Howell. GU tied it back up at 9-all on a goal from freshman Zach Guy (Tully, N.Y./Tully) with 9:34 left in the third quarter. Dowd had carried the ball in front of the crease and after drawing a double-team, fed Guy for a shot from 10 yards out.

The teams went back-and-forth over the final minutes of the third quarter. Georgetown junior goalie Jack Davis (Glen Ridge, N.J./Glen Ridge) made a save on a shot from Parker McKee, giving the Hoyas back with 32 seconds left, but Duke goalie Dan Wigrizer made a save with 19 seconds left on a shot by Shuler. After a successful clear, Duke's Tom Montelli took a pass from Howell and his shot beat Davis just before the horn sounded to close out play, giving Duke a 10-9 lead.

The lead grew to 12-9 in the opening minutes of the fourth quarter after goals from Sam Payton and Ned Crotty, but senior defenseman Chris Nixon (Duxbury, Mass./Duxbury) scored from 15 yards out to make it 12-10 with 11:46 to play. Duke, however, responded just under a minute later, with Crotty feeding Howell for a goal at 10:57. The Blue Devils would add two more, one from Will McKee and another from Steve Schoeffel, in the final six minutes to push the lead to five.

Georgetown had chances in the final five minutes with a shot from senior Andrew Brancaccio (Chevy Chase, Md./Georgetown Prep) blocked and one from Shuler saved, but four turnovers helped to turn the tide.

The game was tied at the half, 5-5, and Duke took a 6-5 lead on a goal from Justin Turri 1:41 into the third quarter, but the Hoyas responded. Redshirt junior Rickey Mirabito (Binghamton, N.Y./Chenango Forks) picked up a loose ball in front of the net and beat Wigrizer at 11:50 to the tie the game. Playing man-up after a penalty was called on Duke, Dowd used a dodge on an unsettled defense and scored at 11:31 to give the Hoyas a 7-6 lead. GU took its biggest lead, 8-6, on an unassisted goal from Shuler with 9:48 to play.

Georgetown had taken an early lead with a pair of goals in the opening five minutes of play. Seligmann scored his first goal of the game from five yards out off a great feed from Dowd at 12:15 and sophomore Zack Angel (Park Hill, Md./St. Mary Ryken) gave the Hoyas a 2-0 lead with a shot that went low-to-high from 10 yards out.

Duke erased the deficit with goals from Jonathan Livadas and Quinzani in the span of 30 seconds and took a two-goal lead with scores in the next five minutes, both assisted by Crotty. Georgetown pulled to within 4-3 when Brancaccio scored from the right of Duke goalie Dan Wigrizer with 40 seconds left in the quarter.

The pace slowed down in the second quarter and the Hoyas took advantage, scoring twice over the first 10 minutes of play. Dowd fed senior Scott Kocis (Huntington, N.Y./Huntington) for a score from the right wing at 7:10, tying the game, and then Seligmann scored his second goal with 5:35 left, giving the Hoyas a 5-4 lead. Max Quinzani, however, scored with 38 seconds left before the half, sending the game to the break tied.

Georgetown out-shot Duke, 41-36, while each team picked up 36 ground balls. The Hoyas won 16-of-28 face-off attempts, led by junior Brian Tabb (Potomac, Md./Georgetown Prep), who won 16-of-27. Davis, playing for the first time in two weeks, had a strong afternoon with 14 saves. Tabb had seven ground balls and Davis picked up six, while senior Chris Schuville (Lloyd Harbor, N.Y./Cold Spring Harbor) had a game-high eight.

The Hoyas are back in action next on Friday, April 2, visiting Navy in a long-time matchup between two of the top-15 teams in the country. Face-off is slated for 7 p.m. The game will be shown live on CBS College Sports.