Georgetown vs. Penn State
May 8, 2005
The Game Story:
WASHINGTON, DC -- The Georgetown University men's lacrosse team (9-4, 4-2 ECAC) suffered a heartbreaking loss in overtime to Penn State, 13-12, just minutes after tying the game with less than a second left in regulation. Penn State (9-5, 5-1), winners of its last seven games, will likely join the Hoyas in the NCAA Tournament as a result of the win.

Georgetown started the game strong, taking an early 2-0 lead on goals by Nick Miaritis (Sr., Setauket, NY/Ward Melville) and Ryan Still (So., Oreland, PA/Penn Charter School), but were soon met by a barrage of Penn State offense. The Nittany Lions scored five goals in the final 4:24 of the first period. They added another goal early in the second to take a 6-2 lead, their largest of the game.

The Hoyas fought back in the second, scoring three straight goals and closing the gap to 6-5 going into the break. Brendan Cannon (Fr., Haverford, PA/The Haverford School), the reigning ECAC Rookie of the Week, scored his first of four goals to break the Penn State run and was followed with goals by Trevor Casey (So., Bethesda, MD/Georgetown Prep) and Scott Kahoe (Fr., Villanova, PA/Radnor).

The Nittany Lions struck first in the second half, but Georgetown responded with a pair of goals by Brendan Cannon and by Dave Paolisso (Sr., Ellicott City, MD/Centennial) to take its first lead of the game. Penn State tied the game at 8-8 two minutes later, but Cannon added his final goal of the game with six seconds left in the period to regain the lead.

In a seemingly meaningless face-off before the end of the third, Andy Corno (Sr., Bethesda, MD/Walt Whitman) drew a slashing penalty on Penn State that gave the Hoyas possession and an extra man opportunity for the first minute of the fourth. The Hoyas capitalized on a strike by Derek Mills (Jr., Moorestown, NJ/Moorestown) from Pete Cannon (Jr., Haverford, PA/The Haverford School). The Lion's quickly battled back with a pair of goals and the score was once again tied with 7:04 to play.

The score would not be tied for long, as the Hoyas won the ensuing face off and Casey scored just seven seconds into the play. Georgetown held the lead for two minutes until Penn State's Nate Whitaker tied the game at the 5:10 mark, then gave the Lions the lead less than a minute later with his fifth goal of the game.

Penn State looked as though they would hold on for the victory, but Georgetown mounted one last attack. With the ball out of bounds behind the PSU net with 4.5 seconds to play, Brendan Cannon put the ball in play sprinting to his left towards the net and dishing to Miaritis, who scored with just 0.8 seconds showing on the clock.

Georgetown's euphoria was short lived, however, as Penn State won the overtime face-off and scored on the first possession of the extra period. Will Cutler scored unassisted just 26 seconds into OT giving the Nittany Lions the win.

The Hoyas out shot the Nittany Lions 45-32 and had the edge in groundballs 45-30. Georgetown committed 13 turnovers to Penn State's 23. The teams split the face-off battle evenly, with each team winning 13. Both goalies played well, with Penn State's Chris Courteau making 15 saves and Georgetown's Rich D'Andrea (Sr., Belle Mead, NJ/The Peddie School) making 10, including a spectacular point-blank stop.

Georgetown now awaits the pairings for the 2005 NCAA Championship, which will be announced tonight between 9:30-10:00 p.m. on ESPNews.