Hartford vs. Dartmouth
February 21, 2009
The Game Story:
West Hartford, CT – The University of Hartford men’s lacrosse team opened the 2009 campaign with a heartbreaking 11-10 overtime loss against the Dartmouth Big Green on Saturday afternoon at Alumni Stadium at Al-Marzook Field.

Rookie attack Aidan Genik led the way for the Hawks, netting a game-high five goals in his first collegiate game. Sophomore Vinni Pellizzi added a pair of goals, and senior Jacob Eustice tallied a game-leading two assists while scoring a goal to finish with three points on the afternoon.

The Hawks opened the season in full-steam with Genik putting the first notch on the scoreboard just two minutes into the game. The goal was assisted by Jacob Eustice. Hartford’s defense held the Big Green scoreless for almost the remainder of the first quarter, until Dartmouth rookie Kip Dooley tied the game up with seven seconds remaining period.

The second quarter was an offensive battle with both teams battling back and forth throughout the period. Two Hartford goals by Carter Bender and Genik put the Hawks up 3-1 with 9:44 remaining in the second stanza. Dartmouth was quick to retaliate as senior Jimmy Mullen found the back of the net just 12 seconds later. Another Genik goal, followed by a Big Green man-up goal with 30 seconds remaining in the half, gave Hartford a 4-3 lead heading into the halftime break.

The offense picked up in the second half as Dartmouth took a 6-5 lead after back-to-back goals by Dooley and Colin Delaney, his second of the period. Hartford roared back with senior Eustic connecting with senior Daniel Clough to add another notch to the scoreboard to tie the game at six with just 19 seconds remaining in the third period. Genik would give the Hawks a 7-6 lead leading into the fourth period on a goal assisted by sophomore Tim Fallon.

Two minutes into the fourth, Pellizzi found the back of the net to give the Hawks a two-goal advantage. Over the next four minutes, the Big Green streaked for four-straight goals to take a 10-8 lead with 8:12 remaining in the period. Hartford wouldn’t lay down, however, with Eustice scoring with 6:26 left as he was assisted by sophomore Michael Cudmore. Pellizzi scored the equalizer for the Hawks with 51 seconds remaining in regulation to push the game into overtime.

With the game still tied in the first overtime period and 6.3 seconds remaining, Dartmouth midfielder Jimmy Mullen fired a shot that got past Hartford goalkeeper Jon McMahon low for the game-winning mark. Mullen recorded four goals on the afternoon to lead the Big Green.

Fallon finished the game with a game-high nine ground balls, while going 11-12 on face-offs for the Hawks. Senior goalkeeper McMahon closed the game with seven saves on the afternoon. Junior keeper Michael Novosel led the Big Green, recording a game-high 10 saves on the afternoon.

Hartford will hit the road for their next match-up at Delaware State on Saturday February 28. Game time is scheduled for noon.