Hartford vs. Ohio State
March 25, 2004
The Game Story:
Slow Start Does Hartford In Against Ohio State

NEW HAVEN, CT (March 25) – Ohio State scored seven goals in the first period and never looked back Thursday afternoon, handing the University of Hartford lacrosse team a 16-8 loss in its home opener at Yale University’s Johnson Field.

Hartford dropped to 0-7 overall on the season while OSU improved to 5-2.

The Buckeyes vaulted out to a quick lead behind the play of Shaun Lyons and Tom Randisi. The duo netted the first two goals of the game, both on unassisted efforts. Hartford struck back behind a goal from senior Mike Gillis, but OSU responded with five straight goals to cushion its lead. Lyons scored his second of the period to start the streak, and the Buckeyes scored four times inside of three minutes. Randisi capped the period with his second tally with eight seconds remaining to give OSU the 7-1 advantage.

The Hawks cut the margin to 7-3 with two extra-man scores to start the second period. Sophomore Garett Kikot and freshman Shay Cunningham each scored their first goals of the day off assists from Gillis. OSU, however, scored the last three goals of the period to lead 10-3 at the half.

Lyons and Randisi continued their strong play in the second half, each netting their third goal in the third period. Kikot and Gillis also scored in the stanza, giving each two goals for the game. Sophomore Josh Wasson-McQuigge added a goal in the fourth period for the Hawks before Cunningham scored twice in the final four minutes to wrap things up.

Lyons and Randisi finished with three goals apiece while Craig Nolan had two. Anthony Gilardi finished with four assists to lead the Buckeyes. Cunningham netted the first hat trick of his career and Gillis had a pair of assists to go along with his two goals.

Junior goalkeeper Jordan Karem played the majority of the game in goal for the Hawks and made 18 saves against 39 shots. Freshman Franklin Pargh played the final 7:30 and made two saves against four shots. OSU’s Tony Russo made seven saves against 15 shots before turning things over to Jon Miller. Miller played just over 11 minutes and made seven saves against 10 shots.

Hartford will next play at Brown on Tuesday, March 30 at 7 p.m.