Hartford vs. Stony Brook
April 11, 2009
The Game Story:
WEST HARTFORD, CT – The University of Hartford lacrosse team dropped a 15-11 decision to Stony Brook University on Saturday afternoon at Alumni Stadium.

With the score tied 5-5 at the half, Hartford (0-10 overall, 0-3 America East) took its first and only lead at the start of the third quarter. Stony Brook (6-4 overall, 2-1 America East) responded by scoring seven of the next nine goals to take a 12-8 lead into the final stanza. Each team scored three goals over the final 15 minutes as the Seawolves held on for the victory.

Freshman Ryan Compitello led the Hawks with three goals and two assists for a career-high five points on the day. It also marked his second straight game with a hat trick. Junior Justin Bearse added three goals and an assist for Hartford, his second hat trick of the season. Kevin Crowley scored three goals and handed out two assists to lead Stony Brook.

The Seawolves opened the game on fire, scoring four times over the first 2:22 of the contest to take a 4-0 lead. The Hawks recovered, however, and scored three times before the end of the quarter. Compitello put Hartford on the board with 6:33 remaining in the quarter before Bearse scored twice in the last 26 seconds.

Hartford tied the game at 4-4 midway through the second quarter. Freshman Aidan Genik netted an unassisted goal with 8:04 to play before the half to pull the Hawks even. The teams then traded goals in the final five minutes of the stanza and went into the locker room tied at 5-5.

Genik scored 40 seconds into the second half to put Hartford up for the first time at 6-5. The Hawks held the one-goal lead until Stony Brook’s Timmy Trenkle scored on a man-up opportunity with 9:50 to play in the quarter. Jared LeVerne then gave the Seawolves the lead back 11 seconds later after scooping up a ground ball following the faceoff and sprinting down field.

The Hawks tied the game again at 7-7 minutes later on a goal by sophomore Leif Abrahamson. Stony Brook responded with quick scores by Robbie Campbell and Jordan McBride to go up 9-7, but Bearse cut the deficit back to one with his third tally of the day off a feed from Compitello.

Stony Brook ended the third quarter with three goals in the final 1:49 to take a 12-8 lead. The Seawolves went up 13-9 to start the fourth quarter and never let their lead dip below four goals for the rest of the game. Compitello scored twice in the stanza while sophomore Michael Cudmore netted a late goal.

Stony Brook outshot Hartford 39-26 and held a 42-30 advantage in ground balls. The Seawolves also won 25 of 29 faceoffs and went 1-for-3 on extra-man opportunities. Hartford goalie Scott Bement made eight saves while Stony Brook’s Charlie Paar had seven.

Hartford returns to action on Monday, April 13 against Presbyterian College at Alumni Stadium. Game time is scheduled for 4 p.m.