Hartford vs. Vmi
February 24, 2007
The Game Story:
West Hartford, CT – The University of Hartford Men’s Lacrosse Team picked up an 8-5 victory in its home opener against VMI on Saturday afternoon.

The Hawks were led by sophomore Daniel Clough who picked up two goals and two assists on the game. Hartford (1-2 overall) also received contributions from freshman Rob Steffens and senior Jason Whitehouse who both recorded a pair of goals each. Kevin Hill the top returning scorer for VMI (0-1 overall) netted three goals for the Keydets in its season opener.

The Hawks started out strong scoring the first three goals of the game. Whitehouse came up with the icebreaker in the first quarter with an unassisted goal before Clough would put two more up on the scoreboard in the second with an assist from Jonathon Timkey and Tom Harris respectively. The Hawks took control at 3-0 with 9:09 remaining.

VMI then turned on the offense by picking up three goals to tie the score 3-3 at the half. The Keydets got its first goal from David Jacobs on an extra man opportunity. Brett Leonard than added a goal two and half minutes later on an assist from Steve Long his second of the day to put the score at 3-2. The final goal of the first half was an unassisted goal from Hill at 1:16 to put the score at even for the half.

The Hawks came out in the third quarter determined to break the stalemate and scored three straight. Steffens picked up his first goal of the game at 12:44 before Harris netted another goal for Hartford at 8:42. Two minutes did not expire before Steffens struck again with a goal at 6:49 to bring his season total to five goals and the score to 6-3 in favor of the Hawks.

Approximately one minute came off the clock before VMI’s Hill picked up his second goal of the game to narrow the score at 6-4. Hartford’s Whitehouse added a goal next with seven seconds remaining before the start of the fourth quarter. Steve Roop then contributed with his first goal of the season for the Hawks off an assist from Clough to bring the score to 8-4. The Keydets would strike once more at 5:44 when Hill picked up his third unassisted goal of the game.

Hartford never trailed in the game and edged VMI in ground balls at 33 to 29. Sophomore Jon McMahon had another solid day in goal for the Hawks playing all 60 minutes while only allowing five goals and picking up nine saves on the afternoon. Sean McCoy played in goal for the Keydets and finished the day with nine saves and eight goals allowed.

Hartford will next host Hobart on Saturday, March 10 at Al-Marzook Field. Game time is 1:00PM.