Hobart vs. Loyola
April 26, 2003
The Game Story:
GENEVA, NY (April 26)--Chris Summers took a pass from behind the net from Gunnar Goettelmann and scored past goalie Mike Borsz with 14.4 seconds left, giving No. 19 Loyola a 13-12 victory over Hobart in a men's lacrosse game played at McCooey Field Saturday afternoon.

Loyola (7-5) called timeout with 42 seconds left in the fourth quarter to set up the game-winning play, which was eerily similar to Princeton's game-winning goal in the second overtime against the Greyhounds Tuesday. Goettelmann dodged behind the net and found Summers cutting toward the goal for the victory.

"We did a good job of setting up the play in the timeout," said Greyhound head coach Bill Dirrigl. "And we're lucky to have experienced players in those positions to make the play happen."

Hobart (5-7) still made the end interesting, winning just their ninth faceoff of the day (in 28 attempts) after Summers' goal. But Mark Bloomquist (season-high 15 saves) stopped Nate Hill's shot from the right wing with three seconds left and saved Tim Booth's long shot from the restraining line as time expired.

Loyola, which defeated Hobart for the fifth straight year, led 6-1 late in the second quarter and 11-7 early in the fourth quarter before the Statesmen made their final comeback. Hill scored an unassisted goal with 11:27 left go make the score 11-8 and then scored again with 5:01 on the clock to make it 11-9. John Bogosian then scored just nine seconds later to pull Hobart within one.

Summers scored his third goal 1:19 after that to give Loyola a 12-10 lead, but the Statesmen then scored twice in a 27-second span to tie the game. After winning a faceoff, Loyola's Ryan Radonis slipped, and Chris Scanlon picked up the loose ball and scored with 2:55 left. Tim Booth then scored on an outside shot with 2:28 on the clock to tie the game.

Hobart then staved off a one-minute man-down situation and gained possession with just over a minute left, but Bloomquist stopped Bogosian's shot from the right wing with 52 seconds on the clock.

"It was anyone's game at the end," said Dirrigl. "You have to give Hobart a lot of credit for coming back. But I feel good that we were able to recover from Tuesday's game and get a win here."

Summers had four goals, the most by a Loyola player this year, while Goettelmann had three goals and three assists. Mark Williamson, Hill and Scanlon each had three goals for Hobart, which had lost its previous four games against the Greyhounds by an average of six goals.

Williamson scored the game's first goal with 1:31 left in a slow-paced first quarter, but the Greyhounds then scored six in a row after that, including two each from Summers and Goettelmann. Loyola made that run after staving off a three-minute non-releasable penalty at the beginning of the quarter after Grant Halford's stick was deemed illegal.

Hobart's Bogosian scored with 2:32 on the second-quarter clock to pull the Statesmen within 6-2 at halftime, and Hobart then scored four of the first five goals of the third quarter, two from Williamson, to pull within 7-6 with 8:54 on the clock.

Loyola concludes the regular season at top-ranked Johns Hopkins next Saturday, while Hobart finishes at Cornell Friday.