Hobart vs. Saint Joseph's
April 26, 2014
The Game Story:
GENEVA, N.Y.Saint Joseph's University completed an undefeated run through the Northeast Conference with a 15-8 victory over Hobart College at Boswell Field this afternoon. The Hawks improved to 11-3 on the year, 6-0 in the NEC while the Statesmen fell to 4-9, 3-3 in the league. Junior attackman Ryan McGee led the visitors with a game-high five points on three goals and two assists. First-year attackman Michael Rastivo also produced a hat trick with senior midfielder Johnny Simanski and junior midfielder Mike Dougherty each chipped in two goals and an assist. Sophomore attackman Matt Opsahl led Hobart with three goals and an assist. Junior midfielder Brendan Saylor added two goals. First-year midfielder Jake Shapiro finished the game 15-of-25 at the faceoff X, scooping up a team-high five ground balls. Senior goalie Peter Zonino went the distance and made nine saves. The Statesmen got off to a fast start, scoring the game's opening goal 61 seconds in on a shot by Opsahl from the right alley. Sophomore attackman Pat Swanick answered less than a minute later, but Hobart retook the lead on Saylor's unassisted tally at 9:06. It was the last goal of the half for the Statesmen. SJU starting goalie T. J. Jones made five stops in the opening frame and 13 total saves in 51 minutes of work. First-year James Superka played the final nine minutes making four saves on eight shots. The Hawks equalized on Rastivo's first goal at 6:26 and took the lead for good when junior attackman Kyle Bruun set up junior midfielder Rob Watts with 64 seconds left in the opening quarter. In the second quarter, McGee sandwiched goals around a strike by junior midfielder Josh Cavanaugh to send Saint Joseph's into halftime with a 6-2 lead. The Hawks scored the first goal of the second half to extend their run to six straight goals before junior midfielder Taylor Vanderbeek netted his 15th goal of the year 46 seconds into the frame. SJU rattled off the next three goals to stretch its lead to 10-3. Senior attackman Jake McHenry got on the board, assisted by Opsahl, with 29 seconds left in the third to make it 10-4. The Hawks put the game away with the first four goals of the fourth quarter before the Statesmen ended the game on a 4-1 run. With 1:51 remaining, senior midfielder Ryan Munnelly capped the day's scoring and his final home game with his first career goal. SJU outshot Hobart 42-35 and had a 37-32 advantage on ground balls. The two squads will square off again on Thursday, May 1, in the semifinals of the NEC Tournament, hosted by Saint Joseph's.