Hofstra vs. Princeton
March 19, 2005
The Game Story:
Hempstead, N.Y. - John Keysor snapped a tie game with 9:20 to play and Princeton turned the ball over on its three possessions after that as Hofstra defeated the 11th-ranked Tigers 9-8 Saturday afternoon in a men's lacrosse game played in front of 2,174 at Shuart Stadium.

The loss was Princeton's first to Hofstra since 1990 and ended a seven-game Princeton winning streak over the Pride, including wins in each of the last five seasons.

Neither team ever led by more than two goals, and the game was tied at the end of the first quarter, second quarter and third quarter.

"You have to give Hofstra a lot of credit," said Princeton coach Bill Tierney. "They played hard, and they played with a lot of energy. They definitely wanted the ball when it was in the middle of the field."

Princeton fell to 0-3 on the season after opening with losses against Johns Hopkins and Virginia, the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the country. The Tigers host defending NCAA champion Syracuse next Saturday at Class of 1952 Stadium; Syracuse is 1-3 after a 12-11 overtime loss to Hopkins Friday night.

Hofstra, who opened the season with three straight losses, won its second straight against a ranked team in three days after defeating No. 15 North Carolina Wednesday night.

"They played us very tough," said Princeton's Peter Trombino, a Long Island native who had two goals and two assists. "They rode us hard. They're a very good team."

Princeton entered the game without having scored a first quarter goal this season, but the Jim O'Brien and Whitney Hayes scored 58 seconds apart in the first five minutes to give the Tigers a 2-0 lead.

Hofstra stormed right back with three straight goals to take its first lead, but Mike Gaudio scored to tie at the end of the first quarter.

Scott Sowanick scored early in the second quarter to put Princeton on top, but Rob Bonaguro scored the first of his three goals with 4:24 remaining to make it 4-4 at intermission.

Trombino would then score twice and Gaudio added another for his first career two-goal game as Princeton built a 7-5 lead with 8:06 to play in the third, but Tim Treubig and Bonaguro tied it with goals 1:58 apart. Jason Doneger put Princeton back on top 8-7 with 1:24 to go in the third, but Princeton would not score again.

Hofstra scored a huge goal when Chris Unterstein fed his brother Mike Unterstein with just three seconds remaining in the third to tie it at 8-8. Keyson, Hofstra's leading scorer who had been pointless to that point, then took a feed from Chris Unterstein and bounced a shot that trickled past Matthew Larkin - who had replaced Dave Law in the third quarter - for what would prove to be the game-winner with 9:20 left. It was the fourth assist for Unterstein.

Princeton would have three chances after that, but all three would end in turnovers, two of which came on failed clears. Hofstra had a huge edge in possession time all game, and the Pride controlled most of the final 9:20.

"Hofstra is a much improved team," Tierney said. "They played very hard. They had a lot of momentum after they beat North Carolina. I thought we did well when we were settled offensively, but we had too much trouble clearing and getting the ball on offense. They were responsible for a lot of that."

Hofstra outshot Princeton 29-27 and had a 28-21 edge in ground balls. Bonaguro finished with three goals for the Pride.