Holy Cross vs. Lehigh
March 26, 2011
The Game Story:
WORCESTER, Mass. – A hat trick by sophomore James Kennedy (Summit, N.J.) was not enough as the Holy Cross men's lacrosse team fell, 11-5, against Patriot League opponent Lehigh at Holy Cross Field on a cold Saturday. With the loss the Crusaders fall to 0-8 (0-3 Patriot League), while the Mountain Hawks improve to 5-4 (2-1 Patriot League).

The Crusaders were led by Kennedy who had a hat trick, and sophomore John Hannan (Manhasset, N.Y) who had a pair of goals.

The Mountain Hawks were led by Adam Johnston who scored four goals, and Dante Fantoni and Jonathan Stumpf who each scored hat tricks.

At the conclusion of the first quarter the Crusaders were down 3-0 to the Lehigh Mountain Hawks from goals by Adam Johnston, Kyle Stiefel, and Jonathan Stumpf. Lehigh's Dante Fantoni scored early in the second quarter, at the 12:44 mark and again with 6:01 left in the half. With 3:37 left in the half Lehigh's Johnston scored his second goal of the game. Kennedy put the first and only goal of the half for the Crusaders in net at the 3:07 mark, to cut the Crusader deficit to 6-1 at the conclusion of the first half.

With 11:08 left in the third quarter Mountain Hawk Johnston scored his third goal of the game. Lehigh scored again at the 4:07 mark off a goal by Stumpf, and again with 3:41 left in the quarter by Fantoni, widening the Mountain Hawks' lead to 9-1. Johnston scored his fourth goal during man down play for the Crusaders off a slashing penalty. With 1:37 left in the quarter Kennedy scored his second goal of the game, to end the quarter 10-2 in favor of Lehigh. The Crusaders opened the fourth quarter with strong offensive momentum and a goal by Hannan at the 12:39 mark off an assist by senior Douglas Broussard (Floral Park, N.Y.). Kennedy scored a hat trick with 5:53 left to play in the game, cutting the Crusader deficit to 10-4. The Crusaders held the Mountain Hawks from scoring for most of the fourth quarter but Stumpf scored for Lehigh with 1:30 left in the game. Hannan scored with 19 seconds left in a strong Crusader fourth quarter to end the game with an 11-5 Crusader defeat.

Freshman Kenny O'Connor (Latham, N.Y.) had nine saves and played all 60 minutes in net for the Crusaders. Mountain Hawks goalkeeper Dan Carr shared time in net with Griffin Farha in the Lehigh victory. The Crusaders were outshot by the Mountain Hawks 40-18. The Mountain Hawks also picked up 30 ground balls to the Crusaders' 22.

The Crusaders return to action away at Bucknell in Lewisburg, Pa, on Saturday, April 2, at 3:00 p.m. The men's lacrosse team does not return home until April 16 when they face Mercer at 5:00 p.m.