Johns Hopkins vs. Virginia
March 22, 2003
The Game Story:
BALTIMORE, Md. -- The Johns Hopkins University men's lacrosse team jumped to a 5-0 halftime lead, got a career-high 18 saves from senior goalie Rob Scherr and held off a furious second-half rally by top-ranked Virginia as the Blue Jays knocked off the Cavaliers, 8-7 in front of 7,241 at Homewood Field Saturday night. The Blue Jays improve to 4-1 and have won their last four games and six of their last eight against teams ranked number one, while Virginia slips to 5-1 and had a four-game winning streak against the Blue Jays snapped.

Hopkins jumped to a quick 2-0 lead as Bobby Benson and Kyle Barrie scored in the first 4:02 of the game. Benson's goal at the 11:59 mark came off a rebound, while Barrie took a perfect pass from Conor Ford on the doorstep and slipped his 10th goal of the season past Virginia goalie Tillman Johnson.

Barrie pushed the lead to 3-0 with just under five minutes remaining in the second quarter when he scored an extra man goal on an assist from Kevin Boland. Ford pushed the lead to 4-0 with 1:46 remaining when he netted his first goal of the season off a feed from Kyle Harrison and that looked like it would be the score at the end of the quarter. However, Hopkins freshman Kyle Dowd picked up a loose ball 30 yards from the goal in the finals seconds and threw the ball at the goal, where it skipped past a surprised Johnson with just three seconds left in the quarter to make it 5-0.

A scoreless second quarter saw the Cavaliers outshoot Hopkins, 12-5, but Scherr registered eight of his 18 saves in the period to send the game to halftime with Hopkins holding a 5-0 lead.

Virginia wasted little time climbing back in the game in the third quarter as the Cavs outscored the Blue Jays, 5-2 in the period. Freshman Matt Ward's ninth goal of the game, off a feed from sophomore Joe Yevoli broke the ice for UVa with 11:19 remaining in the period and Yevoli made it 5-2 with an unassisted goal less than two minutes later. Harrison pushed the lead to 6-2 for the Blue Jays less than one minute later when he bounced a shot past Johnson, but two goals by John Christmas and another by Yevoli were answered only by an extra man goal by Boland in the final 7:31 and the game went to the fourth quarter with JHU leading 7-5.

The two-goal lead for the Blue Jays lasted less than one minute as senior Chris Rotelli scored his 14th goal of the season off another assist from Yevoli to make it 7-6. The score remained 7-6 until junior Joe McDermott netted his second goal of the season with 8:07 remaining with the assist on the play going to freshman Greg Peyser. The Blue Jays held that lead until Virginia made its final push.

Rotelli came from behind the goal and beat Scherr up high with 1:28 remaining to make it 8-7. The Cavaliers won the ensuing faceoff and maintained possession for over a minute until Rotelli threw an errant pass that sailed out of bounds. With less than 15 seconds remaining, the Blue Jays nearly lost possession in their own end before senior Michael Peyser threw the ball the length of the field in an attempts to kill of the remaining time. Johnson came up with the ball and Virginia quickly worked it to Ward, whose shot as time expired hit the outside of the net.

Barrie led the Blue Jays with his two goals, while Ford, Boland and Harrison all had one goal and one assist. The 18 saves for Scherr ties his career high, which he previously set against Notre Dame in the 2001 NCAA Quarterfinals.

Yevoli had two goals and two assists to pace the Cavaliers, while Rotelli and Christmas each had the two goals. Ward added one goal and one assist, while Johnson made 10 saves in goal.

Johns Hopkins will next be in action at North Carolina next Saturday, while the Cavaliers will host Maryland next Saturday.