Lehigh vs. Colgate
April 9, 2005
The Game Story:
Bethlehem, PA – Blake Best scored the game-tying goal with 19 seconds remaining in regulation and then found the back of the net just 50 seconds into the overtime session to lift Lehigh to an incredible 12-11 victory over Colgate on Saturday afternoon at the Ulrich Sports Complex. With the win, Lehigh improves to 6-4 on the season, 1-3 in Patriot League play, while Colgate falls to 6-4 overall and 1-3 in league action.

David Walsh scored the game’s first goal off of a feed from Best with 12:16 to go in the first quarter and Lehigh was in front 1-0. The Mountain Hawks would retain that lead until Matt Lalli scored off of a feed from Mark Nemith with 9:24 to go in the quarter, tying the contest at one. The game would stay knotted at one until Alec Hoof found the back of the net with just 34 seconds left in the quarter.

Andrew Lucas opened the second quarter with his first goal, the 100th of his career, just 38 seconds in, to put the Mountain Hawks up 3-1. Rob Hearne then pulled Colgate back to within one with a score of his own with 12:26 left in the half. Blake Best answered for Lehigh however, and with 11:27 to go in the opening half, the Mountain Hawks were in front 4-2. Rob Ryan scored the game’s next goal for Colgate to make the score 4-3 with 11:20 to go.

Robert Shrader scored his third goal of the season next for the Mountain Hawks with 10:21 to go and Lehigh was again in front by two, at 5-3. Brian Robinson then pulled the Raiders to within one at 5-4 with 6:20 to go, but Lucas and Greg Morin would score back-to-back goals for the Mountain Hawks in the final 1:52, sending Lehigh to halftime ahead 7-4.

Lucas opened the second half with another score just 54 seconds into the third quarter, but Colgate responded with two scores by Brendan Hurley to make the score 8-6 in favor of the Mountain Hawks. Hoof then found the back of the net for the Mountain Hawks at the 3:34 mark, but Colgate responded with the game’s next three scores to make the count 9-9 with 11:19 remaining. Lucas then put the Brown and White ahead by one with yet another score, but the Raiders surged ahead with two more scores of their own, and so with 2:24 left in regulation, Colgate was in front 11-10. Best then pulled his dramatic scoring sequence and Lehigh escaped with the 12-11 win.

Head Coach Chris Wakely was happy to get the first league win of the season on Saturday. “Blake (Best) was very opportunistic on the game-tying goal and on the game-winning goal, he did a good job of getting a good spot on the break.” Wakely continued, “We didn’t play very well in the second half, but we did get the win and I couldn’t be prouder of our guys. A great effort all around.”

Lucas finished the game with four goals for Lehigh, while Best ended with three scored and one assist. Eric Spirko finished with 15 saves on the afternoon in goal for Lehigh and Tom Weiss scooped up six ground balls in the win.

Lehigh returns to action on Saturday, April 16 when the Mountain Hawks travel to Worcester, MA to take on Patriot League foe Holy Cross. Game time is set for 7:00.