Lehigh vs. Stony Brook
April 12, 2006
The Game Story:
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Lehigh hung tough with No. 19 Stony Brook on Wednesday evening, but in the end, the Mountain Hawks were done in by a four-goal fourth quarter, which led to a 12-8 victory by the Seawolves. Senior captain Jeff Wiener netted a hat trick for Lehigh, which falls to 6-5 overall, while Stony Brook got two goals each from Adam Marksberry, Bo Tripodi and Ryan Hughes, and improves to 6-4 on the season.

Head coach Chris Wakely discussed his team’s upgrading of the schedule this season, which has included six nationally ranked teams, following the contest. “We scheduled this game because we knew they were going to be good and because we knew we would be good. I think we played well in spurts this evening, but at other times, we did not do what we needed to do.”

Wakely continued, “We have to bounce back now after two straight losses and come out with a focused effort on Saturday (versus Holy Cross) as we turn our attention to the Patriot League playoffs. If we can come with a good effort for 60 minutes on Saturday, we will put ourselves in a good position to get the result we want.”

Lehigh out shot its counterpart 35-32 on the evening and scooped up 29 ground balls to the Seawolves 32. Lehigh was nine of 23 on face offs and a perfect ten of ten on clear attempts. The Mountain Hawks forced 23 Stony Brook turnovers and turned the ball over 17 times themselves.

Junior Blake Best got the scoring started for Lehigh, as he netted a goal at the 12:03 mark of the first quarter. Huges would tie the contest at one with his tenth score of the season with 7:15 to go in the opening 15 minutes. Best then scored his second goal of the night with just 1:48 left in the quarter, sending Lehigh to a 2-1 lead at the end of one.

Marksberry opened the second quarter with goal number ten on the season off of an assist from Joe Astea to knot the score at one, and Owen Adams made the score 3-2 in favor of the visitors with a score of his own at the 10:11 mark. Exactly one minute later, Wiener tied the game at three off of a feed from Best, but Sean Chamberlain put the Seawolves back in front with his 14th score of the season at the 5:58 clip.

Wiener then tied the game again, this time at four with 4:45 left in the half, but Stony Brook had an answer, as Ryan Maehr scored his fifth goal of the season at the 2:14 mark, putting the visitors in front 5-4. It seemed as though that would be the halftime score, until senior Mike Moran scored his sixth goal of the season with just 17 ticks left on the first half clock, sending the teams into halftime tied at five.

Rhys Duch and Tripodi opened the second half with back-to-back scores for the Seawolves, but Wiener completed his hat trick with a score at the 6:09 mark of the third to make the score 7-6 Stony Brook. Hughes would put the Seawolves up by two scores, before Moran scored again, this one with 3:20 to go in the third, making the score 8-7 as the teams headed into the final quarter.

In the fourth quarter, it was all Seawolves, as they scored four goals, go in front 12-7 with 4:21 to go. Marino would score his 18th goal of the season as time expired and Lehigh fell for the second straight game.

Best and Moran both finished with two goals each, while Marino handed out three assists and Mike Zurfluh dished out a pair. John Park got the start in goal for the Brown and White and responded with three saves, before giving way to Eric Spirko, who sent back four Stony Brook shots.

Lehigh returns to action on Saturday afternoon when the Mountain Hawks step back into league play, welcoming the Crusaders of Holy Cross to town on Senior Day. Face-off is scheduled for 1:00 from the Ulrich Sports Complex.