Loyola vs. Delaware
February 22, 2003
The Game Story:
BALTIMORE, MD -- A late University of Delaware comeback fell just short Saturday as the Blue Hens dropped a 9-6 decision to host Loyola in a non-league men's lacrosse game at Curley Field.

Delaware (1-1), which opened the 2003 season last Saturday with a 16-9 win over Saint Joseph^s, fell behind 8-3 early in the fourth quarter and battled back to within two goals with 2:20 left to play before the Greyhounds prevailed. Loyola, playing its season opener, continued its dominance over Delaware by downing the Hens for the 17th straight time since 1973. Three of the last seven games have been decided by three goals or less.

Ryan Overs and Matt Alrich each scored two goals for the Blue Hens while Jon Kallis and Andy Hipple also tallied goals. Chris Collins posted nine saves in goal for the Hens, who held a 34-27 advantage in shots and a 41-40 advantage in groundballs.

Stephen Brundage led the Greyhounds with three goals and an assist while Chris Summers contributed two goals and Gunnar Goettelmann added a goal and two assists. Loyola goalkeeper Mark Bloomquist had a big game, stopping 15 Blue Hens shots while allowing just six goals.

Delaware managed 19 first half shots, but connected on just two goals as Loyola took a 5-2 lead into intermission. Overs pulled Delaware to within 6-3 with 7:37 left in the third quarter, but Loyola^s Ryan Fisher scored with just five seconds left in the stanza and Jim Fink scored an extra man goal just over a minute into the final quarter to put the lead at 8-3.

The Blue Hens rallied from there as Overs scored an extra man goal and Alrich scored both of his goals in a span of three minutes and 32 seconds, the final one with 2:20 left that cut the lead to 8-6. Loyola then iced the game as Brundage scored his game-high third goal of the game with 1:30 remaining to open the three-goal advantage.

Delaware will return to action Saturday, March 1 when the Hens host Rutgers at 1 p.m. at Rullo Stadium.