Marist vs. Holy Cross
April 12, 2008
The Game Story:
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. - In a very close battle, the Marist men's lacrosse team fell to Holy Cross 6-5 at Tenney Stadium at Leonidoff Field on Saturday afternoon. Marist outshot the Crusaders 37-25 but were held scoreless for the last 16:20 of the game. Sophomores Ryan Sharkey (West Field, N.J.) and Kyle Reny (Marblehead, Mass.) each scored twice for Marist, with freshman Corey Zindel (Randolph, N.J.) adding two assists.

Marist (0-12) opened the scoring with Reny's first tally at the 8:09 mark of the first quarter. Holy Cross got on the scoreboard with 2:34 to go in the opening period, as Kenny Minor set up Luke Marchand for the Crusaders' first goal. The Red Foxes took the lead back to start the second quarter, as Sharkey fired a laser man-up to give Marist a 2-1 lead. Marist controlled play for much of the second quarter, holding a 12-5 shots advantage as Ryan Penner (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) made four saves to keep the score 2-1 going into halftime.

Marist maintained the momentum going into the third quarter, as Zindel assisted on Sharkey's second goal with 9:44 left in the quarter giving the Red Foxes a 3-1 lead. Almost three minutes later, Zindel set up a fast-breaking Keegan Blaney (Stony Brook, N.Y.) to put Marist ahead 4-1. Holy Cross, then, started to come back, as goals form Marchand and Chris Smirti put the Crusaders within one, 4-3, with 2:01 to go in the third. Forty-one seconds later, Reny came from behind the net to score his second goal of the game and put Marist ahead 5-3. Marist's defense held the lead for a good portion of the fourth quarter, but Holy Cross started another comeback with a goal from Toby Banta with 7:49 to go to make the score 5-4. The Crusaders got a goal from Edison Parzanese 1:14 later to tie the game at five. Tim Redmond then scored the eventual game-winner with 4:50 to go.

Holy Cross (4-7) goalie Jimmy Harrison made 14 saves in the game, while his counterpart Penner made 10 for the Red Foxes. Senior midfield Dan Needle (Baldwinsville, N.Y.) was dominant in the face-off circle for Marist, winning 10 of the 15 face-offs. Marist also held a 27-25 ground ball advantage. Needle and Tim Capalbo (Brewster, N.Y.) each had four ground balls for Marist. Marchand led Holy Cross with two goals.

Marist continues their homestand on Wednesday with a 3 p.m. game against MAAC opponent Providence.