Marist vs. Mount Saint Mary's
April 19, 2008
The Game Story:
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. - Junior midfield Paul Santavicca (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) scored 14 seconds into the second overtime to lead the Marist men's lacrosse team to a 6-5 double-overtime win over Mount St. Mary's at Tenney Stadium at Leonidoff Field on Saturday afternoon. The win is the Red Foxes' second in a row. Freshman Corey Zindel (Randolph, N.J.) led Marist with a hat trick.

Matt Teichmann (Huntington, N.Y.) and Ryan McNierney (Commack, N.Y.) also scored for Marist on Saturday. Teichmann also had an assist on the day, as did Santavicca and Matt Schunk (Lancaster, N.Y.). Senior Dan Needle (Baldwinsville, N.Y.) dominated the face-off circle, winning 11 of the 14 face-offs. Ryan Penner (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) made 15 saves in goal for the Red Foxes.

Mount St. Mary's (1-10, 1-5 MAAC) opened the game with a man-up goal from Dan Mohr at the 10:11 mark of the first quarter. The Red Foxes answered with 6:00 to go in the opening period, as Schunk hit Zindel on a fast break to tie the game at 1-1. Marist took the lead with 1:12 to go in the first as Teichmann scored to put the home team ahead 2-1.

The Mountaineers tied the game at 2-2 early in the second quarter on Mohr's second goal of the day. Zindel answered with his second tally to give the lead back to Marist, 3-2, with 4:36 to go in the half. Mount St. Mary's would tie the game before the half ended, as Mohr completed his hat trick with 2:01 to go, making the score 3-3. Marist outshot Mount St. Mary's 20-17 in the first half and won all eight faceoffs in the half.

In a tightly contested third quarter, Zindel scored the only goal of the period with 6:01 to go to give Marist a 4-3 lead. The Red Foxes outshot Mount St. Mary's 10-9 in the quarter with each team turning the ball over four times. Marist increased the lead to two when McNierney scored on a nice dodge from behind the cage with 9:19 to go. The Marist defense held the lead for a majority of the final quarter, but Mount St. Mary's would not go away quietly. With 41 seconds remaining, Geery Grant scored off a Joe Derwent pass to get within a goal, 5-4. Needle won the ensuing face-off for Marist, but a turnover gave the ball back to Mount St. Mary's with 16 seconds left. Derwent slashed to the net and scored with six seconds remaining to force overtime.

Marist (2-12, 2-4 MAAC) won the face-off to start the first overtime and got two shots on goal, each saved by T.C. DiBartolo for the Mountaineers. The Mountaineers could not get a shot off in the first overtime. After a Mount St. Mary's turnover, Teichmann took a shot with three seconds left in the period that was saved by DiBartolo, but a penalty flag on the Mountaineers was on the field. Justin Schmidt was whistled for holding, giving the Red Foxes a man-up opportunity to start the second overtime period. Teichmann set up Santavicca for the game-winning goal 14 seconds into the second overtime, giving Marist the win.

The Red Foxes outshot Mount St. Mary's 41-33 in the game and held a 25-22 advantage in ground balls. Mohr led the Mountaineers with three goals as Derwent had three points on a goal and two assists. DiBartolo made 19 saves for Mount St. Mary's.

Marist continues MAAC Lacrosse League play on Wednesday with a game at Siena. Gametime in Loudonville, N.Y. is scheduled for 3 p.m.