Marist vs. Providence
April 16, 2008
The Game Story:
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. - The Marist men's lacrosse team won their first game of the season on Wednesday afternoon, scoring five goals in the second quarter to defeat Providence 7-6 at Tenney Stadium at Leonidoff Field. The Red Foxes handed the Friars their first loss in MAAC Lacrosse League play. Sophomore attack Ryan Sharkey (West Field, N.J.) led Marist with a pair of goals and also had an assist.

Freshman Corey Zindel (Randolph, N.J.) led Marist in points with four on a goal and a game-high three assists. Pete O'Hara (Babylon, N.Y.), Pat VanHall (Fairport, N.Y.), and Matt Teichmann (Huntington, N.Y.) each had a goal and an assist in the win. Junior goalie Ryan Penner (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) made 12 saves in the win. Senior midfield Dan Needle (Baldwinsville, N.Y.) dominated the face-off circle, winning 13 of the 16 in the game.

It was Providence who controlled play in the first quarter, keeping the ball in the offensive end for a majority of the opening period. The Friars got on the board with seven minutes left in the first, when Jackson Fallon set up Mark Dillon to go ahead 1-0. Marist would take the momentum to start the second, when Providence's Thomas Wenskus was penalized three minutes for an illegal crosse. The Red Foxes took advantage of this, scoring three times during the penalty to take the lead. VanHall, Matt Francis (Lansdale, Pa.) and Teichmann all scored to give Marist a 3-1 advantage with 13:21 left in the first half.

Providence (5-6, 5-1 MAAC) closed to within one goal when Devin McBride scored with 6:17 left in the half, making the score 3-2. Marist answered back with a late charge, as O'Hara and Sharkey scored to give the Red Foxes a 5-2 lead at halftime. The two teams traded goals in the third, with Bennett Murphy's goal for Providence matched by Zindel for Marist to make the score 6-3 going into the fourth quarter. The Friars tried to come back in the final quarter, as Murphy scored his second goal with 6:16 to get Providence within two, 6-4. Sharkey added his second tally 23 seconds later to put Marist ahead 7-4. Providence would add two goals late but it would not be enough.

Marist (1-12, 1-4 MAAC) was outshot in the game 31-23. The Red Foxes did, however, hold an 18-16 edge in ground balls. Providence converted 17 of 19 clears, while Marist converted 13 of 16. The Red Foxes also committed 20 turnovers to the Friars' 13.

The Red Foxes will close out their four-game homestand on Saturday against MAAC opponent Mount St. Mary's. Gametime is at 1 p.m.