Mount Saint Mary's vs. Canisius
April 22, 2006
The Game Story:
Emmitsburg, Md. (April 22, 2006)--Benjamin Mundorf scored with 3:01 remaining to lift the Mount St. Mary's men's lacrosse team to a 7-6 win over Canisius in a battle between first place teams in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. Mount St. Mary's (5-7, 5-1 MAAC) scored twice in a span of 58 seconds late in the fourth quarter to rally for the victory. The game was played in a steady rain at the Mount's Alumni Field.

Mount St. Mary's and Canisius entered the game tied with Marist for the top spot in the MAAC. Marist plays Siena tonight.

Canisius jumped to a quick 1-0 lead when Michael Blocho found the back of the cage just 50 seconds into the game. Mundorf tied the he dodged a Canisius defender and beat goalkeeper Angus Dineley for his 15th goal of the season with 9:07 left in the first quarter.

The Mount's Eric Seifert struck seven seconds into the second quarter to give the Mount a 2-1 lead. Seifert won the face-off, scooped up the ground ball, and went straight to goal to give the Mount the lead. Tilghman Herring added an unassisted goal with 9:16 on the clock to give the Mount a 3-1 halftime advantage.

The Mount came out strong in the second half, scoring a pair of goals in a span of 28 seconds to grab a 5-1 lead just 1:56 into the third quarter. Matt Warner converted a Mundorf feed for the first goal. It was Warner's team-leading 23rd of the season. Kerwin then scored on a Warner feed off a Canisius turnover just 28 seconds later.

The Golden Griffins fought back on a pair of Kevin Ross goals to end the third quarter down 5-3. Ross scored the first goal on a great individual effort. His second tally came off a feed from defenseman Matthew Friedman, who went on an end-to-end rush.

Canisius scored the first three goals of the final quarter to grab a 6-5 advantage with 6:16 remaining. After Tom Hensel scored an unassisted goal 43 seconds into the fourth quarter, Blocho evened the game after he converted a wide-open chance on a nice pass from Kiel Illg. Hensel gave Canisius the lead with an uassisted score with 6:16 left.

The Mount scored the final two goals of the game to earn the win. Herring tallied his second of the day after he took Matt Warner's pass from behind the cage to even the score at 6-6 with 3:59 left. After Mount keeper made a save on a shot by Ross, the Mount quickly got the ball upfield to Mundorf, who dodged his way in on goal and buried the game-winning shot.

Canisius had a chance to tie in the final seconds, but Blocho's bounce shot with 10 seconds left was saved by Zolezzi, sealing the win for the Mount.

Mundorf paced the Mount with two goals and an assist while Warner added a goal and two helpers in the win. Herring added two goals for the Mount attack. Blocho, Ross and Hensel each had two goals in the loss for the Golden Griffins.

Zolezzi made seven saves to earn the win while Dineley made 10 saves for Canisius. The Mount held a 28-27 advantage in shots and a 36-25 edge in ground balls.

Mount St. Mary's returns to action Wednesday with a road game at St. Joseph's slated to begin at 7:00 p.m.

Game Notes...The game was the final home game of the season for the Mount...Mount St. Mary's will move into Waldron Family Stadium, its new $3.5-million dollar facility slated to open in August, next season...Seniors Joe Bello, Kyle Daddio, Pat Farrell, Herring, Sean O'Beirne, Warner and Jason Werner were honored before the game...Warner now has 132 career goals at the Mount, six shy of the school's all-time mark for career goals.