Mount Saint Mary's vs. Quinnipiac
March 31, 2012
The Game Story:
Emmitsburg, Md. (March 31, 2012)--Defending champion Mount St. Mary's opened Northeast Conference play with a 12-8 loss to Quinnipiac at Waldron Family Stadium on campus on Saturday afternoon. The game was a rematch of last year's NEC Championship game won by the Mount.

Bryant Schmidt paced the Mount with three goals and an assist while Andrew Scalley added two goals and an assist in the loss. Brett Schmidt, Daniel Stranix and Connor Carey also added goals in the loss.

Quinnipiac's Matt Diehl had five goals and an assist to lead the offense while Basil Kostaras chipped in two goals and a pair of assists. Matt Kycia added two scores while Brendan Wilbur tallied a goal and two assists for the Bobcats.

The Bobcats (2-6, 1-0 NEC) took control of the game early, scoring the first four goals of the contest. Kycia opened the scoring 1:40 into the game for the early 1-0 Quinnipiac lead. Michael Sagl scored midway through the first quarter while Kostaras added a goal with 24 seconds left in the first for a 3-0 lead.

Diehl made it 4-0 when he scored the first of his five goals in the game early in the second quarter. The Mount (3-5, 0-1 NEC) responded by scoring the next three goals to cut the deficit to 4-3 at the half. Bryant Schmidt started the streak with his first goal of the day midway through the quarter. Scalley scored with 3:37 left in the half and Carey added a goal with 1:49 on the clock to make it a one-goal game.

Quinnipiac came out strong in the second half as well, scoring three goals over the first 3:26 to take a 7-3 lead. Brett Schmidt and Scalley answered to cut the deficit to 7-5 midway through the third, but Diehl scored back-to-back goals to push the lead back to four.

Bryant Schmidt scored a man-down goal with a nice individual effort to make it 9-6 with just under two minutes left in the third, but Kostaras answered 24 seconds later for the Bobcats.

Bryant Schmidt scored again early in the fourth to make the score 10-7, but Diehl again scored consecutive goals to seal the win for Quinnipiac. The Mount's Stranix completed the scoring with 3:17 left in the game for the final score of 12-8.

The Mount outshot Quinnipiac, 33-22, in the game and held a 27-21 advantage in ground balls. Quinnipiac goalkeeper Dylan Torey made 10 saves while Chris Klaiber made four for the Mountaineers.

The Mount returns to action on Saturday, April 7, with a 1:00 p.m. game at Bryant.