Mount Saint Mary's vs. Saint Joseph's
April 15, 2009
The Game Story:
April 15, 2009—Mount St. Mary’s scored twice in the final minute to rally past Saint Joseph’s, 7-6, in a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference matchup on Wednesday afternoon. Sophomore Brendan Harrison (Ellicott City, Md./Mount Hebron) scored with 20.0 seconds left to lift the Mount (3-7, 3-2) to the victory.

Trailing 6-5 with Saint Joseph’s in possession of the ball with 1:38 left in the game, the Mount forced a turnover and was able to clear the ball into the offensive end. Sophomore Mark Stapor (Herndon, Va./Bishop O’Connell) then drove to the cage and beat goalkeeper Erik Hotaling to even the score at 6-6 with 38 seconds on the clock.

The Mount’s Ben Trapp (Timonium, Md./Dulaney) won the face-off with Harrison picking up the ground ball. Mount St. Mary’s worked the ball around the cage to Cody Lehrer (Baltimore, Md./Dulaney), who fed the ball to Harrison in front of the cage. Harrison buried the shot with 20.0 seconds on the clock to give the Mount the 7-6 advantage.

The Hawks won the ensuing face-off and had a shot go wide. The Mount’s Brendan Flanagan (Garden City, N.Y./Garden City) forced a turnover to seal the victory.

The Mount trailed 5-2 heading into the fourth quarter, but struck quickly to get back into the game. Trapp won the face-off, fed the ball to Lehrer, who found Christian Kellett (Audubon, Pa./Malvern Prep) open for a goal just nine seconds into the fourth quarter.

Lehrer then converted a Ryan Shewell (Baltimore, Md./Loyola Blakefield) for his second score of the game to cut the deficit to 5-4 with 10:56 remaining. Stapor tallied an unassisted goal with 6:43 left to even the score.

The Hawks responded with a transition goal from Sean Evan with 4:56 remaining to take a 6-5 advantage. Saint Joseph’s almost got an insurance goal when a lose ball in front of the cage hugged the goal line before the Mount’s DiBartolo was able to scoop up the ground ball.

The Mount had a pair of chances to even the game. Kellett was stopped on a point-blank shot from right in front of the goal by Hotaling with 3:00 on the clock. Stapor hit the post with a shot at the 2:12 mark.

In the first half, Saint Joseph’s struck for the first goal when Tom Dunn made a terrific effort to keep possession of the ball in front of the cage and bury a shot past Mount goalkeeper T.C. DiBartolo (Bowie, Md./Archbishop Spalding). The Mount countered just under a minute later when freshman Mike Adkins (Wilmington, Del./Salesianum) netted his sixth goal of the year on a pass from Kellett.

Lehrer put the Mount ahead 2-1 early in the second quarter, but Alex Lopes and Evans scored consecutive goals to give Saint Joseph’s (4-8, 2-4 MAAC) a 3-2 halftime advantage. The Hawks scored both goals in the third quarter to take a 5-2 lead. Lopes and Charlie Gorman were the goal scorers.

Lehrer finished with two goals and two assists to pace the Mount while Stapor added two goals and Kellett a goal and an assist in the win. DiBartolo made 11 saves to earn the win in the cage. Harrison led the Mount with six ground balls with Trapp adding five in the contest.

Lopes and Evans each had two goals for the Hawks while Gorman chipped in a goal and an assist in the loss. Hotaling made 10 saves in a losing effort.

The Mount held a 28-27 advantage in shots and a 34-24 margin in ground balls in the game.

Mount St. Mary’s returns to action on Saturday, April 18, with a 1:00 p.m. game at MAAC leader Siena.

Game Notes: The Mount holds a 12-4 advantage in the all-time series with Saint Joseph’s and has won nine of the past 10 meetings...The past four games in the series have been decided by a total of five goals...The Mount was 0-for-4 on extra-man opportunities while Saint Joseph’s went 1-for-2.