Mount Saint Mary's vs. Saint Joseph's
April 18, 2007
The Game Story:
Emmitsburg, Md. (April 18, 2007)--Joe Bello scored 1:35 into the second overtime to lift Mount St. Mary's to a 9-8 win over Saint Joseph's in a Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference matchup at Waldron Family Stadium on campus. The win moved the Mount to 2-3 in the MAAC to help keep the team's playoff hopes alive.

After Kyle Daddio won the face-off to open the second overtime, the Mount maintained possession until Michael Sciulli fed Bello who buried the shot for the game-winner. It was Bello's second goal of the game and team-leading 15th of the season.

The Mount jumped to a 1-0 lead on a Joe Derwent goal just 1:44 into the game. The Hawks (4-9, 4-2 MAAC) responded by scoring four of the final five goals of the quarter to take a 4-2 advantage. Steve Varga scored 1:01 after Derwent on a feed from Steve O'Brien.

Bello's unassisted goal gave the Mount a 2-1 advantage, but Alex McColough scored the first of his four goals on the day to knot the score at 2-2. Varga converted an Alex Lopes pass to give Saint Joseph's a 3-2 lead and O'Brien tallied a goal with 4:33 left in the quarter for a 4-2 advantage.

Ben Mundorf helped lead a Mount comeback, scoring twice in the second quarter to send the game to the half tied at 4-4. His first score came nine seconds into the quarter after Daddio won the face-off and fed Mundorf for the goal. Mundorf converted a Sciulli pass with 6:24 left in the half to tie the score.

Mundorf and Sciulli connected again 4:17 into the second half to give the Mount a 5-4 advantage. From that point, the Mount did not trail again, but never led by more than one goal. Sean Cullinan tied the score, but Mundorf's fourth goal of the game gave the Mount a 6-5 lead heading into the final quarter.

McColough evened the score at 6-6 before Eric Seifert scored an extra-man goal on a pass from Mundorf to give the Mount a one-goal lead again. McColough again tied the score with 8:52 left in the game, but the Mount again regained the lead when Dave Orban scored on a pass from Joe Connor with 7:08 on the clock. McColough struck again with 6:01 left in the game to force the overtime.

Mundorf finished with four goals and an assist to pace the Mount while Bello added two goals. Sciulli chipped in a career-best three assists as well for the Mount. McColough paced Saint Joseph's with four goals and an assist while Varga added a pair of goals. O'Brien added a goal and an assist and Peter Slowik two assists in the loss.

Mount goalkeeper Joe Zolezzi made 10 saves to earn the win while R.J. Bopf made eight saves in the loss for the Hawks. Daddio dominated face-offs, winning 20-of-22 face-offs on the day while scooping up a game-best 14 ground balls.

The Mount returns to action on Saturday with an 11:00 a.m. game at Canisius.