Mount Saint Mary's vs. Umbc
March 22, 2014
The Game Story:
Emmitsburg, Md. (March 22, 2014)Mount St. Mary's men's lacrosse fell to UMBC, 17-7, on Saturday afternoon at Waldron Family Stadium. Seven different players scored for the Mount in the loss. The Retrievers took an early 2-0 lead on a pair of Matt Gregoire goals in the opening four minutes. Evan Gormley got the Mount on the scoreboard a minute later to make it 2-1, but UMBC (4-4) scored the final three goals of the quarter to grab a 5-1 lead. Nate Lewnes scored to open the second quarter to make it 6-1, but Mount St. Mary's (0-8) countered with a pair of goals to make it a 6-3 game. Bryden Pelletier scored an unassisted goal with 10:17 left in the half, and Mike Pascali added an extra-man goal 36 seconds later to make it a three-goal game. Gregoire scored his four goal of the first half to push the lead to 7-3, and the Retrievers scored twice in the final 26 seconds of the half to stretch the advantage to 9-3. In the second half, the Mount's Clayton Wainer opened the scoring to cut the deficit to 9-4, but UMBC was able to seal the win by scoring the next seven goals for a commanding 16-4 lead early in the final quarter. Bubba Johnson paced the Mount with a goal and an assist, while Wainer, Kyle McDonough, Pascali, Gormley, Ryan Lamon and Pelletier also scored in the loss. Gregoire scored six goals while adding a pair of assists for an eight-point day. Lewnes added five goals in the victory with Max Maxwell chipping in two goals and three assists for the Retrievers. In the cage, Chris Klaiber played the first 38:46 of the game for the Mount, allowing 13 goals with four saves. Frankie McCarthy played the final 21:14, making seven saves while allowing four goals. For UMBC, Connor Gordon made six saves with four goals allowed in 46:48 of playing time. The Mountaineers are back in action on Tuesday, March 25, when they host Robert Morris in the Northeast Conference opener at 4:00 p.m. at Waldron Family Stadium on campus.