Mount Saint Mary's vs. Bryant
March 8, 2009
The Game Story:
EMMITSBURG, Md. Bryant scored two of the three fourth-quarter goals, including the game winner with 1:59 left to defeat Mount St. Mary’s 7-6 in non-conference men’s lacrosse action on Sunday.

Cody Lehrer (Baltimore, Md./Delaney) paced the Mount with a two points and tied the game at 6 with 2:46 left in the fourth quarter. The freshman added his first collegiate assist in the first quarter. Mark Stapor (Herndon, Va./Bishop O’Connell) also recorded a goal and an assist in the contest. Goalkeeper T.C. DiBartolo (Bowie, Md./Archbishop Carroll) continued to be impressive between the pipes, recording 13 saves on the afternoon.

Zach Greer fueled the Bulldogs (4-2) with three goals and an assist while Kevin Hoagland found the twine twice. Jameson Love made 12 saves and Matt Larson scored the game-winning tally with 1:59 remaining in the winning effort.

After playing two ranked opponents, Mount St. Mary’s gave Bryant and Greer, one of the nation’s top players, a good battle before the game was decided in the waning minutes.

The Bulldogs came into the final quarter holding a slim 5-4 advantage. Freshman Anthony Golden (Timonium, Md./Loyola Blakefield) took a pass from Stapor and buried the shot into the netting for his first career goal and to knot the game at 5 with 10:14 remaining.

Greer answered right back for Bryant off a Robert Stufano assist at the 7:58 mark in the fourth quarter to regain a one-point advantage.

Lehrer then took a feed from fellow freshman Kyle Yates (Solomons, Md./St. Mary’s Ryken) and tied the game at 6 with 2:46 remaining before Larson recorded his fifth goal of the year with 1:59 remaining for the decisive score.

Bryant jumped out to the early advantage on a Jim Long goal at the 14:04 mark in the first quarter. The Mountaineers responded with the next two goals to grab a 2-1 advantage. Geery Grant (Blue Point, N.Y./Chaminade) tied the game at 1 unassisted at 12:51 and Jonny Lefferts (Moorestown, N.J./Moorestown) notched his first collegiate score off a pass from Lehrer with 2:23 remaining in the first quarter.

The Bulldogs registered two goals in the final 93 seconds to take a 3-2 advantage going into the second quarter. Greer notched his first tally of the day off a Bryan Kauffman helper at 1:33 and then Gary Crowley set up Hoagland with 18 ticks on the clock for the one-point advantage.

Once again, Mount St. Mary’s found the twine for consecutive scores to reclaim the margin at 4-3. Jim O’Shea (Rockville Center, N.Y./Chaminade) hooked up with Christian Kellett (Norristown, Pa./The Malvern Prep) for Kellett’s first collegiate goal at 7:55 in the second period. Stapor handed the Mount a 4-3 lead with his first goal of the year.

Greer set up the tying score off a save and fed the ball to Hoagland, who buried the shot in between the pipes with seven seconds left in the second quarter and the two teams were tied at 4 at halftime.

Greer notched his 16th goal of the year with 59 seconds left in the third quarter off a Max Weisenburg assist for the only score in the third quarter and to give Bryant a 5-4 edge. The fourth quarter was a back-and-forth affair with Larson scoring for the Bulldogs to earn the future Northeast Conference program its first win against the Mount.

After Larson gave Bryant the advantage, the Mountaineers had the ball twice in the final 1:59, but could not convert. Andrew Miller (Cordova, Md./South River) caused a turnover with 93 seconds left, but the Mount gave the ball right back to the Bulldogs on a turnover of its own. Another Bryant turnover with 1:16 left gave the Mountaineers one more shot. Grant had his shot blocked with 23 seconds remaining by the Bulldogs’ defense and Matt Murname picked up the ball to seal the victory.

DiBartolo continues to be impressive in his sophomore campaign and now has 48 saves in the first three games. In a two-minute span in the third period, the sophomore faced six shots and recorded four saves, including two off the stick of Greer. Brendan Flanagan (Garden City, N.Y./Garden City) paced the Mount defense with seven ground balls and four caused turnovers.

Mount St. Mary’s returns to action when it opens up its Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference schedule at Manhattan on Saturday. Game time is 12 p.m.