North Carolina vs. Johns Hopkins
March 29, 2003
The Game Story:
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. Top-rated Johns Hopkins scored a pair of late goals in regulation and then scored on the first possession of overtime to rally past No. 8 North Carolina 11-10 in men's lacrosse before a sun-drenched crowd of 2,953 fans at Fetzer Field.

Carolina was nursing a 10-8 lead and regained possession with 2:20 to play only to be whistled for a 10 second violation while clearing the ball. In the ensuing confusion the Tar Heels were called for too many men on the field and Hopkins took advantage of the two violations to tie the game.

Adam Doneger scored just after the penalty expired and after winning the following faceoff Pete LeSeuer scored the game tying goal with 1:16 to play. Hopkins also won the faceoff in overtime and Kyle Harrison scored for the Blue Jays on the opening possession of overtime 56 seconds in.

The loss was especially disappointing for a rebuilding North Carolina team which rallied from three goals down in the second quarter to twice take two goal leads in the second half. UNC, now 5-3 on the season, was seeking its first win over a team ranked No. 1 in the nation since April 6, 1996 when the Tar Heels defeated Virginia 19-18 at Fetzer Field.

Hopkins, the consensus No. 1 team this week, improved to 5-1 on the season. The Blue Jays were led by Kyle Barrie who had four goals and one assist and Harrison who had three tallies. Kevin Boland scored twice for JHU and LeSeuer had a goal and an assist.

UNC was led by sophomore attackman Jed Prossner with two goals and three assists. Both sophomore midfielder Bryant Will and sophomore attackman Mike McCall had two goals and one assist for Carolina, which has lost to Hopkins each of the last two years by just one goal.

Hopkins was in command of the game early as it sped to leads of 4-1 and 5-2 before the Tar Heels rallied before halftime with goals by Will, Lance Zimmerman and Austin Garrison. Hopkins retook the lead at 6-5 2:03 into the third quarter on an extra-man goal by Barrie before Ryan Blair and McCall had back to back goals for UNC to give the Tar Heels their first lead at 7-6 with 7:21 left in the third period. Harrison answered those goals within a minute for Hopkins to tie the game and then goals by Kyle Bell and McCall, the latter with four seconds left in the third quarter had the Heels up 9-7.

But Hopkins, the more veteran and deeper team, turned its game up a notch in the final quarter as would be expected of a No. 1 team. The Blue Jays outshot the Tar Heels 15-4 in the final period, had an 8-4 advantage in ground balls and a 4-1 faceoff edge. UNC goalkeeper Paul Spellman, who had 16 saves, made eight of them in the final quarter to keep the Blue Jays at bay until the final couple of minutes when Hopkins capitalized on a worn down UNC defense.

The Blue Jays ended with a shot advantage of 46-32 and won 14 faceoffs to 10 for UNC. Hopkins had 31 ground balls and UNC 30. Both teams face stern tests again next week as Carolina must travel to Charlottesville, Va. to face No. 2 ranked Virginia at Klockner Stadium. Carolina is 2-0 in the ACC and a win at UVa would give Carolina its first outright regular season ACC title since 1992. Hopkins hosts Duke next Saturday at Homewood Field.