North Carolina vs. Johns Hopkins
April 2, 2005
The Game Story:
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - No. 1-ranked Johns Hopkins got three goals from freshman midfielder Paul Rabil and two goals from senior attackman Peter LeSueur to overcome a stout defensive effort by 17th-ranked North Carolina, defeating the Tar Heel 7-5 in men's lacrosse action before 3,128 fans at Fetzer Field Saturday afternoon. The Blue Jays improved to 6-0 on the season with the victory and they won their 42nd successive game in which they led entering the fourth quarter of play. UNC dropped to 2-6 on the season.

Both teams played great defense in a game which was delayed for 45 minutes in the third period by lightning. UNC limited the Blue Jays to their lowest goal output of the season as Tar Heel senior goalkeeper Paul Spellman made 10 saves in goal for UNC. Sophomore Jesse Schwartzman had an outstanding game in the goal for the Blue Jays as he recorded 12 saves and allowed only five goals while the Tar Heels fired 32 shots on goal. The Blue Jays took 33 shots.

Hopkins was outstanding on man-down defense, not allowing the Tar Heels to score on four chances after Carolina entered the game ranked second in the nation in man-up offense percentage. The Blue Jays were also dominant in the faceoff circle where they won 12 of 16 draws but UNC's riding was effective, forcing seven failed clears by the Blue Jays which gave the Tar Heels additional chances on the offensive end.

After a scoreless first quarter, Hopkins bolted to a 2-0 as Rabil scored a pair of unassisted goals for the Blue Jays in the first 4:19 of the secondperiod. The Tar Heels were able to cut the margin to 2-1 at halftime when freshman midfielder Rob Driscoll scored his third goal of the season unassisted with 5:16 to play in the first half.

Hopkins scored on the opening possession of the third quarter when Greg Peyser fed Kyle Harrison for a goal on a hard outside shot but then the game was delayed for 45 minutes by lightning.

UNC responded by scoring the first goal after the delay as Ryan Blair fed from behind the goal to a cutting Kyle Henderson who scored his first goal of the season with 10:58 to play in the third quarter.

Hopkins responded with back-to-back goals by Peter LeSueur with 5:29 and 4:22 remaining in the third quarter to extend the lead to 5-2, both goals coming unassisted and on difficult angles. But Carolina responded as junior midfielder Andrew McElduff found the back of the net for his second goal of the season with 3:36 to play in the third quarter off a fed from Bryant Will. Just over a minute later freshman midfielder Nick Tintle scored his second goal of the season and the Tar Heels had cut the lead to 5-4.

Twice in the early stages of the fourth quarter the Tar Heels had an extra-man opportunity with a chance to tie the game but UNC combined in the two chances to get off only one chance. That proved deadly as Hopkins struck back for goals by Kevin Huntley, assisted by Jake Byrne, at 9:44 to cut increase the lead to 6-4 and then Rabil rolled the crease to sneak one by Spellman with 5:28 to play on a Hopkins extra-man situation to put the Blue Jays ahead by three goals again.

After a failed Hopkins clear was intercepted by Jed Prossner with less than a minute and a half remaining, he fed Mike McCall for the final goal of the game with 1:24 to play. UNC had one final opportunity to score after a Hopkins turnover on the next possession but Andrew McElduff's shot was saved by Schwartzman allowing the Blue Jays to defeat the Tar Heels for the 12th straight time dating back to 1995.

UNC will next be in action against the third-ranked Virginia Cavaliers on Saturday, April 9 at 1 p.m. at Klockner Stadium in Charlottesville, Va., as the Tar Heels seek an end to their current two-game losing streak.