North Carolina vs. Maryland
May 15, 2011
The Game Story:
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - Eighth-ranked Maryland broke open a close game with a six-goal second-half scoring run and never looked back as the Terps defeated ninth-ranked North Carolina 13-6 in the opening round of the 2011 NCAA Division I Men's Lacrosse Championship at Fetzer Field. With the win the Terps advance to the NCAA quarterfinals next Sunday in Foxborough, Mass., against the winner of tonight's Syracuse and Siena game.

The Terps bolted to a 3-0 lead in the game's first 10 minutes and although the Tar Heels twice cut into the lead they could never get an equalizer. The turning point in the game came after the Heels had cut the lead to 7-5 midway through the third quarter. Maryland answered with a goal by Joe Cummings with 6:06 to play in the period and that sparked a six-goal Terrapin run over a period of 17 minutes that eventually led to a 13-5 lead with 4:47 to play.

Senior Ryan Young led the Terps with a five-point day as he scored two first-half goals and also assisted three times. Drew Snider had four goals for the Terrapins and Kevin Cooper added a trio of goals. Owen Blye added two scores for Maryland which improved to 11-4 on the season.

Billy Bitter led the Tar Heels as he scored three goals to end his career with 99. Carolina's other goals came from Jimmy Dunster, Michael Burns and Pat Foster. Bitter's 99 goals leave him in a tie for ninth place in Carolina history with Harper Peterson (1968-70). He also finished his career with 175 points, seventh in Carolina history.

The Terps ended with an edge of 32-27 in shots and 27-15 in ground balls. Carolina had eight ground balls in the third quarter but only seven in the other three quarters combined. The Terps also dominated the face-off war, winning 16 of 23 on the day. Curtis Holmes was 15 of 22 at the X for the Terps.

Niko Amato played 58:15 in the goal for Maryland and was brilliant all day, making 13 saves and allowing only six goals. Steven Rastivo finished with eight saves for the Tar Heels.

The Terps opened up a quick lead in the game as Drew Snider took a pass from Jake Bernhardt and scored at the 8:11 mark of the quarter. Owen Blye than dodged goal line extended 20 seconds later and when Blye scored on the extra-man from Grant Catalino with 5:25 left in the first quarter it was 3-0 Maryland.

Bitter scored back-to-back goals for the Tar Heels at 1:04 of the first quarter and 12:21 of the second quarter on acrobatic dodges to the goal. But that would be as close as Carolina would get. Young scored two goals and assisted on the other as the Terps extended their lead to 6-2 with 6:33 to play in the half.

Carolina got back-to-back goals by Foster and Bitter before halftime to cut the lead to 6-4 and the Heels went to intermission down only two despite having won only three of 12 face-offs and being beaten on ground balls 16-4 in the first half.

The two teams traded goals early in the third quarter. Snider scored for Maryland at 12:31 and Jimmy Dunster had an extra-man goal for the Heels at 9:12. UNC went a man-up shortly after that but Holman and Bitter had shots saved by Amato and when Cummings scored at the other end the Terps were on their way to victory. Snider scored his third and fourth goals of the game in the run and Cooper had the last two for the Terps with 8:54 and 4:47 left in the fourth quarter.

The loss marked only the second at Fetzer Field in Coach Joe Breschi's tenure. UNC is now 20-2 since his arrival. Carolina finished 10-6, the first time UNC has strung together back-to-back-to-back 10-win seasons since 1992-94.