Notre Dame vs. Georgetown
April 10, 2011
The Game Story:
SOUTH BEND, Ind. – Georgetown (5-5, 2-2 Big East) had its final shot during the game's final minute, sail wide of the goal, to fall one goal short, as No. 2 Notre Dame (8-0, 3-0 Big East) scored a late fourth quarter man-up goal to defeat the Hoyas, 7-6 at Arlotta Stadium on the campus of Notre Dame.

Travis Comeau (Red Deer, Alberta/Hill Academy) led the Hoyas' offense with three goals, the third consecutive game with three or more goals for the sophomore attackman, who also picked up a team-high six ground balls. Goalie Jack Davis (Glen Ridge, N.J./Glen Ridge) made 11 saves in the loss.

Of Georgetown's five losses this season four of them have come to teams ranked in the top four in the country.

Comeau (Red Deer, Alberta/Hill Academy) kept the Hoyas in the game early. With the Irish in front, 1-0 Comeau took a pass from Davey Emala in front of the cage, then in tight space was able to get off an underhanded shot to tie the score.

Comeau struck again quickly after Notre Dame took a 2-1 lead behind Sean Rogers' second goal. This time Brett Weiss (Phoenix, Md./Boys' Latin) found Comeau, who scored his second goal of the game on a diving shot in front of the crease tying the score at two goals apiece.

Max Seligmann (Essex Fells, N.J./Delbarton) put GU in front for the first time at the 10:37 mark in the second quarter at 3-2, taking a run at the right side of the cage a beating the goalie high for his ninth goal of the season. Notre Dame's David Earl answered just over two minutes later with a shot from 10 yards in front of the cage, tying the score at three.

Colin Igoe scored directly following a Notre Dame timeout to help the Irish regain the lead, but Comeau would score his third goal of the game, picking up a rebound in front of the cage and finishing to send the game into halftime tied at four goals apiece.

Georgetown continued to put pressure on Notre Dame, again possessing the ball for much of the third quarter, but the Irish's Steve Murphy would score on an empty net to take a 5-4 lead. Georgetown would answer just before the end of the third quarter as Rickey Mirabito found Emala who ripped a shot from outside of 10 yards away past the goalie to tie the game, 5-5 going into the fourth quarter.

The Irish struck first in the fourth quarter, as Earl scored his second of the game for the Irish with 11:34 remaining in the game. Zack Angel (Park Hall, Md./St. Mary's Ryken) scored on a running, jump shot to inside of nine minutes to again tie the score. Notre Dame would regain the lead, as Max Pfiefer scored on the team's first man-up opportunity with 2:31 remaining in the game, for the eventual game-winner.

Georgetown returns home to take on Loyola (Md.) on Saturday, April 16 at 7:00 p.m. under the lights at Multi-Sport Field. The game will be televised on Verizon Fios1 with Dave McHugh providing the play-by-play and Andy Corno adding analysis. Fans can also visit for a live broadcast of Saturday's game featuring Chuck Timanus.