Notre Dame vs. Detroit Mercy
May 11, 2013
The Game Story:
SOUTH BEND, Ind. (5/11/2013) -- The Detroit men's lacrosse team's first-ever game in the NCAA Championship almost proved to be a historic one, but a fourth-period rally by #2 Notre Dame saw the Fighting Irish erase a Titan lead as UDM fell, 9-7, on Saturday in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at Arlotta Stadium. The game was broadcast live on ESPNU.

Junior Alex Maini had a pair of goals and assists and sophomore Brandon Beauregard tallied his first career hat trick on the day. Sophomore Mike Birney had a goal and an assist and junior Tom Masterson also found the back of the net.

Senior A.J. Levell made 10 saves in net, including five in the fourth, and senior Jordan Houtby has three caused turnovers and a game-high nine ground balls. Senior Jamie Hebden and sophomore Chris Shevins each had a pair of caused turnovers and ground balls, while redshirt freshman Damien Hicks was 10-of-19 in faceoffs with three GB's.

Detroit (5-10) led 7-3 going into the fourth as the Titans had Notre Dame (11-4) on the grips of an upset, but six-straight goals by the Fighting Irish in the final 15 minutes was the difference in the game. Notre Dame had four markers in the first five minutes of the period and added the final two with 5:27 and 2:31 on the clock.

Notre Dame ended the game outshooting UDM, 30-27, thanks to a 16-3 output in the fourth. The Titans won the battle of ground balls, 32-30, and forced UND into 16 turnovers with eight caused.

Detroit's defense started the tone of the game right from the start as Houtby caused a turnover on the opening faceoff and then nearly eight minutes into the game, the Titans won a loose ball and Beauregard came around the net to beat the keeper for a 1-0 lead.

The Titans then took a 2-0 lead after one as Birney found Maini for a marker the 4:47 mark. Notre Dame then got on the board with 12:08 on the clock in the second and the Titans would end the first half with three-straight goals for a 5-1 advantage.

Maini started the run with a great individual effort to get inside for a score and that was followed by Maini finding Beauregard for an open shot and score to take a 4-1 lead with 3:36 remaining in the half. Sophomore Scott Drummond then hooked up with Birney and with the shot clock timer almost about to expire, he ripped one past the goalie with less than two minutes left and a 5-1 lead at the break

Detroit outshot Notre Dame, 16-8, and won the battle of ground balls, 18-8. UDM was also 6-of-7 in faceoffs in the opening half and was 10-for-10 in clears.

The Titans won the opening faceoff in the second and had an extra-man opportunity, but failed to score and the Fighting Irish cut the lead to 5-2 nearly five minutes into the third. Detroit then got back its four-goal lead as Maini picked up another assist with a great pass to junior Tom Masterson and the Canadian did the rest, besting the keeper for a 6-2 at the 8:22 mark.

The Irish netted a goal to cut the lead to 6-3, but Beauregard recorded his first career hat trick with a goal and a 7-3 advantage with 4:57 remaining in the third.

On the year, Detroit won its first-ever MAAC Championship as the Titans had to win their regular-season finale just to make the conference tournament, but then upset top-seeded Marist and No. 3 Siena to make the big dance.