Ohio State vs. Butler
April 27, 2002
The Game Story:
No. 16 Ohio State Men's Lacrosse Dominates Butler, 17-5

Buckeyes end losing streak against Bulldogs on senior night in Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium

April 27, 2002

COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 16 Ohio State men's lacrosse team used seven unanswered fourth-quarter goals to put away Great Western Lacrosse League rival Butler, 17-5, in front of 580 fans Saturday on a rainy Senior Night in Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. The win ended the Buckeyes' eight-game losing streak against Butler. It was OSU's first win over the Bulldogs since April 7, 1993. The Bulldogs lead the all-time series, 8-2.

Ohio State, which has won its last three games, improves to 9-4 on the season, 3-1 in conference play. The Bulldogs drop to 5-7 overall and end their conference season with a record of 1-4.

The game marked the home finale for 10 Buckeye seniors - Collis Boyce, John DiCamillo, Preston Dickerson, Mark Engel, Sung Hwang, Mark Marion, Toby Mink, Brandon Paul, Dan Savage and Kevin Stephan. DiCamillo, Engel and Hwang each scored in the game, with Hwang tallying the last two goals of the contest.

"This win has been a long time coming," Joe Breschi, OSU head coach, said. "We've worked hard to get to this point where we can compete with Butler. We played well at the offensive and defensive ends of the field.

"I'm happy for our seniors that they can go out on a winning note in their last home game. I'm proud of them - this is the first class that's beaten Butler. I'm proud of our whole team."

The first quarter ended with the teams tied at one. Butler opened the scoring less than two minutes into the game on a goal by Rich Pavlick. Curtis Smith scored the Buckeyes' goal with OSU on the extra-man advantage, assisted by Pat Myers, at 4:07.

The teams traded the lead early in the second quarter before Ohio State went ahead for good. Butler went up with 13:31 remaining on an extra-man score by Ryan Ward. The Buckeyes then scored back-to-back goals by Engel and Ryan Laffey to go ahead by one, 3-2. Butler knotted the score with 9:13 remaining, as Kyle Tietjen tallied. However, OSU scored the last three goals of the half, including two by Anthony Gilardi and one by Mike Norton, to end the first half leading by three (6-3).

Butler opened the scoring in the third quarter to cut OSU's lead to two on a Pavlick score. The Buckeyes, however, responded with the next four goals to break the game open. Sophomore Greg Bice scored the first goal of his OSU career with 8:38 on the clock, followed by a Tom Randisi score, assisted by Curtis Smith, at 6:43. The assist marked the 100th point in Smith's OSU career. Myers scored the first of his team-best three goals of the game with 4:46 remaining, followed by a Pat Donohue goal at 1:45. Butler ended the scoring in the quarter on a Scott Walker goal. The teams went into the final quarter with Ohio State leading, 10-5.

The Buckeyes scored all seven goals in the fourth quarter, including five in just over two minutes, to put Butler away. Myers scored at 6:34, followed by an Anthony Kelly goal at 6:00. DiCamillo scored 10 seconds later (5:50) before Smith scored his second goal of the night at 4:59. Myers ended the OSU outburst with another goal of his own (4:15). Hwang ended the scoring with goals at 2:59 (assisted by Donohue) and with 51 seconds remaining. The goals were the first of Hwang's Buckeye career.

The Buckeyes end their season at 1 p.m. Saturday on the road at Notre Dame. The winner of the game will share the GWLL title with Fairfield, as the Buckeyes and Irish enter the game with matching 3-1 records in conference play. The Stags ended their conference season with a 4-1 mark.