Ohio State vs. Hobart
March 12, 2005
The Game Story:
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Hobart scored three goals in the last 2:09 to break
a 6-all tie and defeat Ohio State, 9-6, Saturday at North Turf Field.
The Buckeyes led, 6-3, with 10:10 remaining in the third quarter, but
the Statesmen scored six unanswered goals for the win. No. 19-ranked
Ohio State falls to 1-3 on the year, while No. 17 Hobart remains
undefeated at 3-0.

For the Buckeyes, redshirt freshman goalie Mike Rimmer (Melville,
N.Y./Half Hollow Hills East) had a career-best 19 saves in the game.
Junior Ben Wolff (Owings Mills, Md./Calvert Hall) had a team-best two
goals and three points vs. the Statesmen.

Ohio State scored the first four goals of the game, all in the first
quarter. Jason Lutz (So., Carlisle, Pa./Carlisle) got the Buckeyes on
the board just under four minutes in (11:02), followed by a Wolff
goal, assisted by Kyle Olson (Sr., Upper Arlington, Ohio/Upper
Arlington), at 9:36. Jason Bloom (r-Jr., Coquitlam, British Columbia)
scored his first goal of the year at 4:40 off an assist from Wolff at
4:40 and Tom Randisi (Sr., Towson, Md./Calvert Hall) scored
unassisted with 1:47 remaining in the quarter. Rimmer kept the
Statesmen scoreless, making seven saves.

Hobart scored the first two goals of the second quarter to cut OSU's
lead to 4-2. Tim Molinari got the Statesmen on the board with 3:00
remaining and Mike Conklin scored a man-up goal 31 seconds later
(2:29). Buckeye freshman Kevin Buchanan (Cockeysville, Md./Calvert
Hall) ended the scoring in the half with a goal with 59 seconds
remaining to send OSU into the lockerroom at halftime with a 5-2

Hobart's Daryl Veltman scored his first of three goals in the third
quarter 55 seconds into the stanza. Wolff, assisted by Andrew Bender
(Jr., Wooster, Ohio/Wooster) responded at 10:10 with what would be
the Buckeyes' last goal of the game. Veltman closed out the scoring
in the third with man-up goals at 6:04 and 1:07 to cut the Buckeyes'
lead to one (6-5).

HU's Rory Melvin tallied an extra-man goal 2:50 into the fourth
quarter to tie the game at 6-all. The score remained tied until Chris
Keough picked up a loose ball near the Buckeye cage and scored into
basically an empty net with 2:09 remaining in the game to put the
Statesmen ahead for the first time. Conklin scored just 29 seconds
later to give HU a two-goal edge and Nate Hill closed out the scoring
and sealed the Hobart victory with a goal 34 seconds later (at 1:06).

Hobart outshot the Buckeyes in the game, 41-27. Rimmer played all 60
minutes, making a career-best 19 saves. Hobart goalie Dan Valente
made 12 shots in 60:00.

The Buckeyes were unable to score on six man-up chances, while the
Statesmen converted five times on 13 opportunities.

Up next, the Buckeyes will play host to Quinnipiac at noon March 19
in Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium in Columbus, Ohio.