Ohio State vs. Umbc
April 30, 2003
The Game Story:
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The No. 17-ranked Ohio State men's lacrosse team defeated No. 14 UMBC, 12-9, Wednesday afternoon at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. The win improves the Buckeyes to 9-3 overall. The Retrievers drop to 7-6 in their regular season finale. Pat Myers led the way for Ohio State with three goals, while four others - Bryan Mulford, Curtis Smith, Ryan Laffey and Shaun Lyons, each tallied twice.

Curtis Smith added a team-high three assists for a game-high five points. His first-quarter goal was the 100th of his Buckeye career, making him just the seventh Buckeye to post 100 or more career goals.

"I'm really proud of our seniors for the way they played in their last home game," Joe Breschi, OSU head coach, said. "It's not an easy situation to come back and play a team ranked higher than you just a few days after such an emotional game (when the team clinched a NCAA tournament berth against Butler Saturday)."

The teams ended the first quarter tied at five. Mulford got the Buckeyes on the board with an unassisted goal just over two minutes into the game. UMBC's Josh Dodson tied the game at one at the 9:46 mark. The Buckeyes then scored two goals in eight seconds (at 9:10 and 9:02), by Lyons and Mike Norton, to take a 3-1 lead. Phil Grillo cut the Buckeyes' lead to one at 8:07 and the score remained 3-2 until Curtis Smith regained the Buckeyes' two-goal edge at 6:41. The Retrievers quickly responded, as Pat Muston scored just 13 seconds later. Brendan Mundorf tied the game at four with 3:46 left in the quarter. Myers scored his first goal of the game at 2:12 to put OSU up by one, but UMBC's Josh Gerber tallied with one second to end the quarter with the teams tied at five.

UMBC took its first lead of the game less than a minute into the second quarter on a Franklin Berry goal. Myers then scored twice, at 6:51 and 2:19, to send the Buckeyes into halftime with a 7-6 edge.

The Buckeyes posted three goals in the third quarter and held the Retrievers scoreless to extend their lead to four (10-6). Lyons tallied at 7:35, before Laffey and Mulford scored at 5:26 and 4:06, respectively, with Curtis Smith assisting on both goals.

UMBC mounted a comeback in the fourth quarter, scoring three consecutive goals to cut OSU's lead to one with 9:51 remaining. The score remained 10-9 until Laffey put the Buckeyes up by two (11-9) at the 5:47 mark. Curtis Smith ended the scoring with a goal with 16 seconds left in the game.

In net, Tony Russo had 11 saves for the Buckeyes. Tim Flanagan made 13 stops for the Retrievers.

The Buckeyes will end their regular season at 2:30 p.m. Saturday when they travel to face No. 12 Penn State. Ohio State, which shared the GWLL's regular-season title and earned the league's automatic berth in the NCAA tournament, will find out its opponent for the first round of the national tournament at 8 p.m. Sunday when the selection show is aired live on ESPNews.