Penn State vs. Massachusetts
April 3, 2004
The Game Story:
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa., April, 3 2004 -The Penn State men's lacrosse team (3-4, 0-2) suffered its fourth loss of the year at the hands of Massachusetts (5-4, 1-0) 17-8 at a muddy Jeffrey Field. Sophomore John Eremus (Rosemont, Pa.) led the Lions in scoring with two goals and two assists while UMass attackman Gene Tundo finished with two goals and four assists on the day.

The Lions tallied the first goal of the fourth quarter as Nate Whitaker (Great Falls, Va.) found the back of the net for his second goal of the game to improve his scoring streak to 21 games. The Lions would not see another goal in the game as UMass notched four straight goals to seal the victory 17-8. Attackman Kevin Glenz scored two goals in the quarter to finish with four for the Minutemen while Matt Tundo scored on an assist from his brother Gene Tundo to give him a hat trick on the day.

Massachusetts opened the third period with a goal off the opening face-off from midfielder Chris Doyle. The Minutemen scored again before Penn State responded with its third extra-man goal of the game from Whitaker on an assist from Eremus. UMass scored again one minute later as Gene Tundo notched his second goal of the game. The Minutemen were able to tally another late goal in the quarter as midfielder Jamie Yaman scored on an assist from Matt Tundo with nine seconds remaining to give UMass a 13-7 lead heading into the final quarter.

Both teams combined to score nine goals in the second quarter. Matt Tundo opened with an unassisted goal at the 12:05 mark to give the Minutemen a 6-1 advantage. Junior Will Jones (Annapolis, Md.) scored the Lions' second extra-man goal of the game two minutes later to lower the UMass margin to four goals. The teams went back and fourth trading goals in the last two minutes of the quarter. Eremus notched a goal on an assist from junior Will Cutler (Vienna, Va.) with 1:15 remaining while Will Jones tallied his second of the game 40 seconds later. Marc Young (Devon, Pa.) scored his first goal of the day on an assist from Eremus with five seconds remaining to cut the Minutemen lead to 9-6 at the half.

UMass opened the game with five unanswered goals to take a solid lead in the first quarter. Neil Lundberg and Gene Tundo connected twice in the rally while Kevin Glenz, Chris Doyle and Gene Tundo also scored goals for the Minutemen. The Lions got on the board when Eremus scored an extra-man goal from freshman Gil Pearsall (Carthage, N.Y.) with 50 seconds left in the quarter to cut the Massachusetts lead to 5-1.

Senior goalkeeper Mike Stoltz (Hereford, Md.) and junior goalkeeper Josh LaGrow (Skaneateles, N.Y.) split time in net as the two combined to make six saves. UMass goalkeeper Bill Schell played the majority of time in goal also making six saves in the game.

The Nittany Lions will head to the road in their next two games as they travel to Geneva, N.Y. on April, 10 to take on Hobart and Emmitsburg, Md. on April, 17 to battle Mount Saint Mary's in non-conference match-ups.