Penn State vs. Umbc
March 22, 2003
The Game Story:
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - March 22, 2003 - The Penn State men's lacrosse team lost their fifth match of the year today to UMBC 12-10. The Nittany Lions (1-5, 0-2) have lost to the Retrievers for the fourth straight year. Senior captain Marshall Feldman (Severn/Davidsonville, Md.) led the Lions in points with two goals and one assist on the day.

Penn State brought a 9-7 lead into the fourth quarter. UMBC came out strong in the final 15 mnutes scoring four straight goals in four minutes to take an 11-9 lead. Marshall Feldman scored a breakaway goal for the Lions with 4:07 remaining to cut the Retriever lead to one. UMBC played strong defense and tallied an extra-man goal at the two-minute mark to stave off the Nittany Lions for the victory.

Both teams scored three goals in the third quarter. Sophomore Mike Jacober (Moses Brown School/Providence, R.I.) started off the scoring in the quarter with his unassisted goal to give the Lions a 7-4 lead. Derek Howells (Niskayuna/Niskayuna, N.Y.) and Greg Hale (Pittsford-Bridgeton/Pittsford, N.Y.) also notched goals for the Lions in the quarter. UMBC attacker Brendan Mundorf had a goal and an assist in the period en route to a five-point day.

Senior Rob Booth (The Haverford School/Gladwyne, Pa.) scored a goal at the beginning of the second period to give the Lions a 5-1 lead. UMBC scored three-straight goals including an extra-man goal from James Hyland to cut the Penn State lead to two. With time running out in the quarter the Lions led a quick charge down the field. Derek Howells picked up a rebound of Retriever goal keeper Tim Flanagan and scored with 0:00 on the clock.

Penn State was dominant in the first quarter scoring four goals. Sophomore Will Cutler (St. Johns College/Vienna, Va.) tallied two goals in the quarter while Feldman and Jacober both scored as well. All four Nittany Lions goals came within five minutes in the period and Penn State out shot the Retrievers 12-2.

Senior goal keeper Chris Garrity (St. Mary's/Annapolis, Md.) played all 60 minutes in the game making ten saves on the day.