Pennsylvania vs. Army
March 15, 2003
The Game Story:
Philadelphia - The Red and Blue remained undefeated at Franklin Field in 2003, as senior Jake Martin and junior Will Phillips combined for seven goals to lift Penn past No. 18 Army, 13-8. The victory was the Quakers' first over a ranked opponent this season and gave them their first two-game winning streak of the year, as well as improving them to 3-0 at Franklin Field and 3-2 overall.

Martin recorded career-highs in goals and points, scoring four and adding an assist, while Phillips extended his points streak to 10 games with a career-high three goals and two assists, for a career-best five points. Senior Alex Kopicki also added a pair of goals and an assist and freshman Chase McGowan scored his first collegiate goal, and set up two others, as the duo finished with three points apiece. Senior Mark Gannon made a career-high 13 saves for the win, including seven in the fourth period.

Penn used an eight-goal second half to turn a 5-4 lead into a five-goal victory, as the third period was really the difference in the contest. McGowan kicked off the flurry, netting his first career goal on a highlight film-backhanded shot in front of the cage off a pass from fellow classmate Patrick Rogers to give the Quakers some early breathing room just 2:36 into the third.

A little over three minutes later, Martin connected on his third goal of the game to extend Penn's lead to 7-4. Senior Stephen Brown received a gift in front when he picked off an errant pass from Army netminder Matthew Darak and deposited the ball into the empty net for his second career goal, pushing the Quakers' ahead 8-4 with 3:34 to go in the period. Kopicki's second of the game, which ended up being the eventual game-winner, off a Martin pass allowed Penn to take a 9-4 lead with less than two minutes to play in the period.

The Black Knights did manage to get one back as Jim Wagner scored his first of two goals with 28 seconds remaining in the third to draw Army back within four at 9-5. However, two quick goals coming two minutes apart by sophomore Greg Voigt and Martin, who came into the contest with five goals and left with nine on the season, gave the Red and Blue a six-goal lead (11-5) with 10:39 to play in the game.

Give the Black Knights credit though, as they refused to go away, Jeff Bryan's sixth goal of the season pulled Army back within five at 11-6 with 8:47 to play. Penn struck again for two more goals to put the contest out of reach as freshman James Riordan scored his team-leading fourth extra-man goal, followed by Phillips' ninth of the season and the Quakers led 13-6 with 2:57 remaining in the contest.

Army did get one back immediately as Kopicki was serving a 1:00 penalty for unnecessary roughness and Wagner made the Quakers pay, netting his second of the game. Chris Roberts added one more to close out the scoring with 1:00 left in the contest, pulling Army within five at 13-8, but that was all she wrote.

Penn led 2-1 after one on goals by Martin and Phillips, and took a 5-4 halftime lead after Kopicki, Phillips and Martin all tallied in the second. Army's first-half goals were courtesy of John Walker, who scored twice, John Ryan and Marko Kostovic.

In addition to sending the Black Knights to just their second loss of the season (3-2 overall), the Red and Blue also denied Army Head Coach Jack Emmer from capturing an NCAA-record 301st career win in his first attempt after winning number 300 on March 11 in a Army win over Holy Cross.

The Quakers return to action next week, when they open up the Ivy League portion of their 2003 schedule at Harvard for a 1 p.m. contest.