Pennsylvania vs. Dartmouth
April 3, 2009
The Game Story:
PHILADELPHIA The Big Green and Quakers alternated goals throughout the first half, but Penn took a two-goal lead to start the third quarter and never looked back as the Dartmouth men's lacrosse team fell, 9-6, in Ivy League action on Friday afternoon.

Dartmouth (2-7, 0-2 Ivy) had six different goal scorers, including freshman Kip Dooley (Minneapolis, Minn.) who led the team with a goal and an assist for two points. Junior Casey Hingtgen (Carlsbad, Calif.) netted a goal in his first appearance of the season. Freshman Fergus Campbell (New Canaan, Conn.) gave the Big Green his best effort with 13 saves, which gives him double-digit saves in three-consecutive starts.

Penn (2-6, 1-3 Ivy) got two goals from Garvey Heiderman and Craig Andrzejewski, while Corey Winkoff added a pair of assists. Goaltender Joe Hegener made seven saves in front of the cage to earn the win.

The two teams traded goals during the entire first quarter. Penn took a 1-0 lead with 12:24 left in the quarter on a goal by Drew Collins and Dartmouth answered with Hingtgen's first of the season coming less than four minutes later. The Quakers got their second lead with 6:19 left on Alex Weber's seventh of the year and Dooley answered right back for the Big Green with his 10th of the season, which puts him third on the team and made it 2-2.

Penn's Rob McMullen got the lead back again with a man-up goal with 2:56 left in the quarter. Sophomore Joshua Etzion (Boca Raton, Fla.) knotted the score again at 3-3 with his second man-down goal of the year, which is tops on the team.

In the second quarter, Penn denied Dartmouth its chance at a lead as it took its fourth lead of the first half at 4-3 on Heiderman's first of the game. Junior Ari Sussman (New Haven, Conn.) tallied his eighth of the year coming with 6:33 remaining to even the score at 4-4. The Quakers closed out the scoring in the opening half as John Conneely netted Penn's second man-up goal of the game to make it 5-4 at the half.

The Quakers built up their largest lead at 6-4 with Andrzejewski's first of the contest with 11:46 left in the third quarter. Dartmouth got back to within one at 6-5 on a goal from senior captain Tim Daniels (Duxbury, Mass.) with the assist going to Dooley. With 11 seconds remaining in the quarter Penn's Al Kohart pushed the lead back to 7-5 with his fifth of the year.

In the final frame, the Quakers broke out and netted back-to-back scores late in the quarter to take a commanding lead at 9-5. Andrzejewski and Heiderman went one after the other to give them two goals on the afternoon. Senior captain Brian Koch (Rye, N.Y.) got Dartmouth back to within two with 21 seconds left during a man-up situation, but it was too little too late as Penn walked away with the 9-6 victory over the Big Green.

Dartmouth was outshot 42-29 by the Quakers and Penn also held a 26-21 advantage in ground balls. Justin Lynch held a slim 11-8 led in the X, while senior Jimmy Mullen (Mt. Lebanon, Pa.) stepped in for the Big Green and went 4-for-4 in faceoffs. Dartmouth scored one goal in five chances on the man advantage, while Penn netted two goals in five opportunities.

The Big Green will be back in action at Scully-Fahey Field this coming Tuesday at 4 p.m. as Dartmouth takes on Providence.