Pennsylvania vs. Harvard
March 27, 2004
The Game Story:
Philadelphia - Ryan Kelly made 11 saves and Will Phillips pushed his scoring streak to 25 games on two goals and a helper as Penn remained undefeated at Franklin Field after a 7-5 decision over visiting-Harvard. The Red and Blue, which won for the fourth-straight time over the Crimson, improved to 4-3 overall and 1-1 in the Ivy League on the strength of its second-straight victory, while Harvard fell to 3-2 and 0-1.

"We really needed an Ivy win today, especially after losing to Yale (in the Ivy opener on March 20)," senior captain Patrick Connelly said. "For us, this is the effort level if we want to win games. We have to outwork our opponents. Defensively, Ryan Kelly was the player of the game. We all appreciate what he's done for us this season. He's our captain back there."

Holding a two-goal lead for most of the contest, Penn blew open the game with two extra-man goals less than a minute apart to start the fourth period. Harvard did manage to get the two scores back, but were unable to get any closer. P.J. Gilbert and D.J. Andrzejewski tallied extra-man goals at :35 and 1:25, respectively, into the fourth period to push the Red and Blue's lead to 7-3.

The fourth period was marred by penalties - with 11 of the game's 15 being whistled in the final 15 minutes, including seven on Penn. After the Quakers took quick advantage of calls on Harvard's Jeff Gottschall and Alex Vap to start the fourth, Penn was whistled for four penalties on one play as Patrick Connelly received two holding fouls as well as a slashing penalty and was joined by Matt Kelleher for slashing 2:51 in. Down three men, Penn surrendered an extra-man score to Evan Calvert :16 into the advantage.

After Calvert's tally, the Quakers buckled down and only allowed Harvard five shots, two of which Kelly stopped and one that slipped through by Sean Kane with 1:10 left in the contest.

Penn jumped out to an early 2-0 lead 3:32 into the contest and never really looked back after that, even though Harvard did manage to close within one goal before the end of the first half. Zandy Reich opened up the game's scoring on his fourth of the season, unassisted, to give the Red and Blue a 1-0 edge just 2:08 into the game. Phillips pushed that lead to two goals after taking a pass from Patrick Rogers and scoring his 16th of the season just 1:24 later.

Phillips' 17th goal of the season extended the Penn lead to 3-0 with 1:37 remaining in the opening quarter after the senior attackman deposited DJ Andrzejewski's pass into the cage. Harvard did answer however, with six seconds remaining in the first period, as Mike McBride took advantage of Joseph Shanagan's late holding penalty to get one past Kelly.

Both teams traded pairs of goals in the second period as the Red and Blue regained its three-goal lead 3:31 in when Luke Dixson netted his first of the season. The Crimson answered with two-straight goals to close Penn's margin to one, 4-3, after Greg Cohen and Anders Johnson both notched unassisted scores in a span of 3:48.

That would be the closest Harvard could get for the remainder of the game however, as James Riordan's 10th goal of the season off a Reich feed with just :17 remaining in the half allowed the Red and Blue to regain its two-goal lead and keep the Crimson at arm's length for the remainder of the contest.

The third period seemed to be the calm before the storm, although Harvard's netminder Jake McKenna (game-high 11 saves) kept his teammates close while the Crimson trailed by two goals, making five saves on Penn as Phillips, Reich, Dixson and Mark Becker all peppered shots at the Harvard cage.