Pennsylvania vs. Lehigh
March 10, 2004
The Game Story:
Philadelphia - Nine different members of the Red and Blue found their way onto the scoresheet as No. 19 Penn sent Lehigh to its fifth-straight defeat, 9-5, at Franklin Field. The victory was the Quakers second-straight and improved their record to 2-1 overall while the Mountain Hawks remained winless in 2004, falling to 0-4 overall.

"That's when we're clicking, when everyone is being unselfish," senior captain Will Phillips said in reference to the Quakers balanced attack.

Phillips led the scoring parade with a game-high five points on two goals and three helpers as the Annapolis, Md. native extended his career-high point streak to 21 games. Sophomore James Riordan added a pair of goals and junior Zandy Reich recorded two assists to lead the Red and Blue.

Penn peppered Lehigh's Tom Ellis with 15 first-period shots and opened up the contest's scoring 3:47 into the opening session when Riordan rifled a Phillips' pass into the Lehigh cage. Riordan's tally came on a man-up advantage as the Mountain Hawks' Jeff King was off for slashing. It was the Quakers' second extra-man score of the season.

Less than three minutes later, Penn's lead was pushed to 2-0 as D.J. Andrzejewski scored off a Reich pass. The Red and Blue continued the barrage with Saturday's hero P.J. Gilbert scoring his second goal of the season 1:43 later. The Quakers extended its early lead to 4-0 with 3:11 to play in the opening period as Phillips netted the first of his two goals off a David Delaney pass.

The Mountain Hawks stopped the bleeding with 30 seconds remaining in the first session as Andrew Lucas ripped a Stephen Marino pass by the Quakers' Ryan Kelly. Lucas' shot was only the second taken by Lehigh in the first 15 minutes. Penn responded 25 seconds later as Greg Voigt scored his first goal of the season on a perfect setup by Phillips to allow the Red and Blue to regain their four-goal lead.

Both teams traded goals throughout the remainder of the game. In the second period as the Mountain Hawks opened the scoring 6:43 in on a David Gaunt tally. Penn answered again as freshman Alex Salihi scored his second goal of the year off a feed from Reich 1:12 later. The Quakers pushed the score to 7-1 after Riordan notched his second goal of the contest and sixth of the season with 5:47 remaining in the first half. Lehigh closed out the first-half scoring as Mike Osborne netted his second of the year at 10:58.

The third period saw Ethan Haire, who won 8-of-12 draws, score his first of the season off a pass from Phillips midway through. Lehigh drew back to within four when Connor McCarthy scored the first of his team-high two goals with 3:45 remaining in the third period.

Lehigh's best opportunity came in the beginning of the fourth period as David Walsh (twice) and Marino were stoned by Kelly, who finished the contest with four saves. Phillips pushed Penn's lead back to five with his seventh goal of the year 4:15 into the final period. The Mountain Hawks responded 5:30 later as McCarthy found the back of the cage to close out the contest's scoring.

Lehigh did have two extra-man advantages in the final 13:19 but failed to generate a shot on either 1:00 opportunity. The Mountain Hawks' Ellis recorded a game-high 11 saves and kept the game from getting ugly. Five of those saves came in the second period when Ellis stopped Riordan twice and also frustrated Mark Becker, Phillips and Reich.

Penn outshot Lehigh, 36-16, and won 12-of-18 face-offs - Alan Eberstein was 4-2 on draws.

"Intensity is what sealed the win for us," Phillips commented. "We're happy we won. We're 2-1. Now we will put this one behind us and get ready for Saturday."

The Quakers travel to West Point, N.Y. to face Army on March 13 at 1 p.m.