Providence vs. Mount Saint Mary's
April 5, 2008
The Game Story:
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College men's lacrosse team remained unbeaten in Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) play with a 10-5 victory over Mount St. Mary's on Saturday, April 5 at the Friar Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex in Providence, R.I. Providence improves to 4-5 overall and 4-0 in the MAAC, while Mount drops to 1-7 overall and 1-2 in league action. Graduate student Mark Dillon (Gaithersburg, Md.) posted a career day for the Friars on offense with four goals and two assists.

The Friars started off the game with three-straight goals through the first 4:47 of the game. Dillon got things started just 50-seconds into the game off a feed from sophomore Jackson Fallon (Arlington, Mass.). Senior Robert Lamontagne (Pittsford, Mass.) and Fallon each recorded a goal at the 10:41 mark and the 10:13 mark, respectively. Both goals were assisted by Dillon.

Mount finally got on the scoreboard with 8:44 on the clock in the first quarter as Joe Derwent notched an unassisted tally to make the score, 3-1. Providence fired back with a goal from sophomore Colin Tigh (Garden City, N.Y.) at the 5:42 mark. Tigh's goal was unassisted.

The Friars entered the second quarter with a 4-1 lead and scored three-straight goals to start the second quarter to take a 7-1 advantage. Dillon recorded his second goal of the day at the 10:19 mark, unassisted. Fallon and Tigh then went back-to-back at 6:45 and 1:45, respectively. Fallon's goal was assisted by Lamontagne, while Tigh notched his second unassisted tally of the day. Mount St. Mary's stopped the bleeding with 14 second left in the half as Geery Grant recorded a goal off a pass from Derwent. Providence didn't take long to respond as Dillon posted his third goal of the day with four second left on the clock, unassisted.

Providence scored two, unanswered goals in the third quarter to take a 10-2 lead. Fallon hit the back of the net for the third time in the game with 12:21 on the clock, unassisted. Dillon followed with his fourth goal at the 1:55 mark off a feed from graduate student Bennett Murphy (Princeton, N.J.) during a man-up opportunity.

The Mountaineers rallied in the fourth quarter with three unanswered goals to make the final score, 10-5. Brendan Harrison struck first at 14:07, followed by two-straight goals from Jon Rodrick at 9:59 and 5:08. Derwent assisted all three goals.

Junior goalkeeper Robert Bryan (Apex, N.C.) got the win in goal for Providence with five saves. T.C. DiBartolo took the loss for Mount after allowing eight goals in the first half and recording two saves. He was replaced by Kyle Overs at halftime. Overs finished with seven saves and let up two Friar goals.

The Friars were dominated the face-off "X" and were led by graduate student Thomas Wenskus (East Islip, N.Y.) who won 10 of 12 opportunities. Wenskus also picked up a game-high 10 groundballs on the day.

Today's game will be televised locally via tape delay on Sunday, April 6 at Noon on Cox Sports (Cox 3). Providence returns to action on Saturday, April 12 against MAAC foe St. Joseph's in Philadelphia, Pa. Opening face off is set for 1:00 p.m. It marks the first of four-straight road games for the Friars.