Providence vs. Mount Saint Mary's
April 29, 2006
The Game Story:
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College men's lacrosse team claimed a share of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Regular-Season title and the No. 1 seed in the MAAC Tournament with an 8-3 victory over Mount St. Mary's on April 29 at the Friar Lacrosse Complex in Providence, R.I. Providence College concludes the 2006 regular-season schedule with an 8-6 overall record and a 6-2 mark in the MAAC. Mount St. Mary's falls to 6-8 overall and share the regular-season crown with the Friars with a 6-2 league record. The Mount will be the No. 2 seed in the upcoming MAAC Tournament.

Senior Michael Farley (Westfield, N.J.) posted his fourth hat trick of the season with three goals to lead the Friar offense. He also was credited with the eventual game-winning goal on the day. Graduate student Jonathan Hollister (Longmeadow, Mass.) added two goals in the game. Junior goalkeeper Peter Littell (Upper Montclair, N.J.) recorded the victory with nine saves in 58:35 minutes of action. He was relieved by senior Ron Westgate at the 1:25 mark of the fourth quarter. Westgate finished the game with one save on one Mountaineer shot.

Benjamin Mundorf led the Mount with one goal and one assist for two points. Dave Orban and Adam Sharretts each tallied one goal in the game. Chris Channing played all 60 minutes in goal for Mount St. Mary's and finished the day with five saves.

Providence took an early, 2-0, lead in the first quarter on back-to-back goals from Hollister at 14:25 and 8:12. Hollister's second goal was assisted by junior Brendan Ryan (Chatham, N.J.). Mount St. Mary's tied the game, 2-2, with goals unassisted goals from Sharretts and Mundorf at 3:40 and 1:29, respectively.

In the second quarter, Ryan tallied PC's third goal of the afternoon off a feed from sophomore Ben Johnston (Branford, Conn.) with 13:13 on the clock. Farley netted his first goal of the day with 4:43 left in the second quarter to give the Friars a 4-2 advantage at halftime.

Orban connected on a man-up goal with 11:49 left in the third quarter to make the score, 4-3, but it proved to be the Mount's final goal of the afternoon. The Friars went on to score four unanswered goals to finish the game, including three in the third quarter. Senior Mark Seyer (Kirkwood, Mo.) scored, unassisted, at the 8:24 mark of the third to put PC ahead, 5-3. At the five-minute mark, sophomore Devin McBride (Marblehead, Mass.) found the back of the cage off a feed from Seyer to make the score, 6-3.

Farley finished the game off with back-to-back, unassisted, scores. His first in the span came at the 4:08 mark of the third quarter. He then scored the lone goal of the fourth quarter with 5:01 remaining in the game.

Providence (8-6, 6-2 MAAC) will make its sixth-straight appearance in the MAAC Tournament and will begin play on Friday, May 5 in the semifinals. The Friars, who earned the No. 1 seed, will learn who their opponent is after completion of the Marist vs. Canisius regular-season game being played at 7:00 p.m. on April 29 in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. The No. 2 seed in the MAAC Tournament is Mount St. Mary's.

Semifinal game times are set for 4:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. on Friday, May 5. The winner of each semifinal game will advance to the MAAC Championship game on Sunday, May 7 at Noon. The 2006 MAAC Championship will be held on the campus of Canisius College at the Demske Sports Complex in Buffalo, N.Y. Winner of the MAAC Championship will earn the league's automatic berth to the 2006 NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championship.