Providence vs. Saint Joseph's
April 9, 2005
The Game Story:
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College men's lacrosse team defeated St. Joseph's, 6-5, in overtime during Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference action on Saturday, April 9 in Providence, R.I. St. Joseph's scored three goals to close out regulation, including two with less than a minute to play, to force overtime. Senior Jonathan Hollister (Longmeadow, Mass.) netted the game winner off an assist from senior Dan Giuntini (Floral Park, N.Y.) with 35-seconds left in OT.

St. Joseph's took a 1-0 lead with 8:59 on the clock in the first quarter as Mike O'Neill found the back of the net off an assist from Keegan Wilkinson. The Friars scored two unanswered goals to close out the quarter and take a 2-1 lead. Senior Sean Kirwan (Drexel Hill, Pa.) struck first to tie the game, 1-1, during a man-advantage opportunity with 5:42 on the clock. Sophomore Bennett Murphy (Princeton, N.J.) was credited with the assist. Hollister scored his first goal of the afternoon, unassisted, with 14-seconds remaining.

Providence scored two more goals to open the second quarter and take a 4-1 advantage. Giuntini found the cage, unassisted, at 12:15. At the 9:29 mark, Murphy netted a goal from Giuntini. St. Joseph's pulled within, 4-2, to close the half on a goal from John Cooper. Cooper's goal was assisted by Wilkinson.

The game featured a scoreless third quarter, followed by a St. Joseph's rally in the fourth. The Friars opened the fourth quarter with a man-up goal from Kirwan at 13:41 to make the score, 5-2. It marked Kirwan's second man-up goal of the game and was assisted by sophomore Brendan Ryan (Chatham, N.J.). The Hawks then scored three-unanswered goals to close out regulation and force overtime. Steve Varga started the rally with a man-up goal at 12:42. Varga's goal was assisted by Andrew Four. St. Joseph's got within one goal (5-4) with 41-seconds left on the clock as Cooper scored, unassisted, on a low shot from the left hand side of the cage. Wilkinson tied the game, 5-5, on another low shot from the left with 18-seconds on the clock.

In the four-minute overtime session, Hollister scored the game-winner off an assist from Giuntini with just 35-seconds remaining.

Senior Andrew McMinn (Pittsburgh, Pa.) earned the win for PC between the pipes with 11 saves. Dan Morrissey made 10 saves in the cage for St. Joseph's. Providence outshot St. Joseph's, 30-24, and held the advantage in groundballs, 30-28.

Providence (3-7, 2-1 MAAC) will return to action on Saturday, April 16 against MAAC foe Siena. The game is scheduled to begin at 2:00 p.m. at Glay Field in Providence, R.I.