Providence vs. Vmi
May 2, 2008
The Game Story:
LOUDONVILLE, N.Y. - The top-seeded Providence College men's lacrosse team fell to No. 4 seed VMI, 9-8, in overtime during semifinal action at the MAAC Championship Tournament on Friday, May 2 in Loudonville, N.Y. The Friars entered the tournament with a share of the MAAC Regular-Season title and had won the MAAC Tournament title each of the last two season. Providence concludes its season with a 7-8 overall record.

The Friars took an early 1-0 lead in the game as graduate student Mark Dillon (Gaithersburg, Md.) ripped a shot by the VMI goalkeeper just 48-seconds into the action. Dillon's goal was assisted by sophomore Jackson Fallon (Arlington, Mass.). Graduate student Bennett Murphy (Princeton, N.J.) gave PC a 2-0 advantage with 10:26 left in the first quarter, unassisted. Kevin Hill got the Keydets on the board to make it a 2-1 game at the 5:52 mark, unassisted. The Friars went up 3-1 with six seconds left on the clock as Murphy connected on an acrobatic behind-the-back goal off an assist from senior Devin McBride (Marblehead, Mass.).

Providence started the second quarter with an unreleasable, 3:00 minute penalty for illegal equipment, but held the Keydets scoreless. The Friars responded later in the quarter with back-to-back goals from junior Bobby Labadini (Westford, Mass.) and senior Robert Lamontagne (Pittsford, N.Y.). Labadini's goal was assisted by graduate student Henry Pynchon (Ipswich, Mass.) during a man-up situation at the 7:24 mark. Lamontagne struck, unassisted, 37 second later (6:47) to make the score 5-1 in favor of Providence. VMI responded with two goals in the final 2:06 of the half to get within two (5-3) at halftime. Tim Moran started the scoring off a feed from Hill at 2:06. Hill recorded his second goal of the game, unassisted, with 1:10 on the clock.

In the third quarter, the Friars opened the scoring with a man-up goal from Fallon at the 14:08 mark off a feed from Murphy. Sophomore Colin Tigh (Garden City, N.Y.) connected off a pass from Fallon just over a minute later (13:02) to push the Friars' lead back to four (7-3). Hill answered for VMI with his third goal of the afternoon, unassisted, at the 10:02 mark to get within 7-4. Brett Leonard and Matt Piazza joined Hill in the scoring column at 7:54 and 5:32 to make it a one-goal game at 7-6.

Hill tallied the equalizer for VMI with 8:24 left in the fourth quarter to knot the score at 7-7. He recorded his fifth goal of the afternoon with 2:07 on the clock to give the Keydets their first lead of the game. McBride tied the game for PC (8-8) with 1:45 on the clock after Lamontagne dished him the ball on the left post. McBride's goal forced overtime.

In overtime, Hill ripped the game-winning goal into the back of the net from the right side of the cage 10 yards out just 30 seconds into the action. It marked his sixth goal of the game and eighth point overall, as he also recorded two assists.