Quinnipiac vs. Stony Brook
March 29, 2003
The Game Story:
Hamden, Ct.- The Quinnipiac Men's Lacrosse team came out on top this afternoon in their second conference game of the season, against Stony Brook. The Bobcats took the win in the last second of the game when Freshman Josh Murray fired it in from the top of the box.

Stony Brook led off the game with a goal at 13:13 by Adam Marksberry. Quinnipiac answered back less than a minute later when Chip Schmidt tied it up. Bobcat Senior John Giordano put in his first of four goals for the game at 8:12, assisted by Murray. Schmidt fed Andy Pelletier a ball 17 seconds later to put the Bobcats ahead by two.

With 4:26 remaining in the first quarter Kevin Shea put in his first of four goals. Three minutes later Sea Wolves' Jason Cappadoro tied up the game with an unassisted goal. Cappadoro tallied his second goal in 30 seconds with 1:08 remaining in the first quarter to lead Stony Brook 4-3.

A little over two minutes into the second quarter Murray tallied his second goal of the game to tie it up. Sean Farrell scored with 8:34 remaining in the second quarter to give the Sea Wolves the lead again. Quinnipiac answered back when Leigh DiPace fired one in, with an assist from Schmidt. Less than a minute later George LaFlare added his first of two goals for the afternoon for the Sea Wolves.

Stony Brook scored twice in the first seven minutes of the second half increasing their lead to three. The goals were scored by Shea and LaFlare respectively. With less than five minutes remaining in the third period, Quinnipiac put up three quick goals to enter the last quarter tied with the Sea Wolves. The first was Murray's second goal of the game at 4:18. Mike Stottler and Pelletier assisted both of Giordano's goals at the end of the third quarter.

At 13:05 Murray scored his third goal of the afternoon, unassisted. Stony Brook retalliated with a goal from Farrell. Less than a minutes later Murray fed Giordano his fourth goal of the game. With 6:57 remaining, Pelletier put one past Stony Brook, increasing the lead to two. He was assited by Schmidt. Shea added his third goal of the game at 4:33 to bring the Sea Wolves within one.

With about one minute remaining Stony Brook was down in the Quinnipiac end when the Bobcat goalie attempted to clear the ball and it was taken by the Sea Wolves. Shea put the ball past Quinnipiac with 40 second remaining, tying up the game. Stony Brook won the face off, but the Bobcat defense was relentless, earning back the ball. Chris Ort passed a long ball to Murray. Murray ran down the field with only seconds remaining. Murray fired the shot from the top of the box and scored as the horn blew across the field. The Bobcats came up with a huge victory over last years' America East Champions, 12-11.

Jeffrey Slater made 11 saves for the Sea Wolves. T.J. Barnett stopped 18 shots for the Bobcats this afternoon. The Bobcats return to action on April 4, 2003 at Princeton at 7:00 p.m.