Siena vs. Stony Brook
April 10, 2007
The Game Story:
Loudonville, N.Y. - Junior midfielder Owen Adams tallied his fourth goal of the contest with 1:42 remaining in sudden death to send the Seawolves off with a 10-9 victory on Siena Field. Siena (6-4, 3-0) attackmen Matt Girsh (Mahopac, N.Y./Mahopac) and Ryan Duggan (East Setauket, N.Y./Ward Melville) each registered three goals apiece this afternoon. Girsh topped all scorers with five points in the contest.

Stony Brook (6-2) jumped out to a quick two goal advantage when Robert Trenkle and Adams posted back-to-back scores just 3:11 into the contest. Seawolves midfielder Rhys Duch extended their lead to 3-0 when he finished on a feed from Larry Cerasi at the 2:46 mark in the first quarter.

The Saints responded being down three goals, and finished the first quarter strong. Chris Zarins (Bayville, N.Y./Locust Valley) put Siena on the board when he sent a shot from just inside the box past Stony Brook goalkeeper Brendan Callahan with 2:03 on the clock. Siena midfielder Scott Montgomery (West Islip, N.Y./West Islip) won the very next face-off which setup Girsh's first goal of the contest just eight seconds later.

Both squads exchanged goals in the second quarter as Stony Brook entered intermission with a 4-3 advantage. Owens was responsible for the first score at the 4:40 mark. Then Saints attackman Matt Donovan (Northport, N.Y.) extended his consecutive game scoring streak to 22 when he blasted a shot into the top right corner with 2:04 left in the half.

The Seawolves lead grew to 6-3 early in the third quarter, but Siena's refuse to lose attitude propelled them back into the game. The Saints would rally for three consecutive goals courtesy of Shaun Dunn (Amityville, N.Y./Chaminade) and Duggan to even the game at 6-6 as they entered the final quarter.

With 11:36 remaining in regulation, Bo Tripodi managed his first goal of the contest. Then four minutes later, Steven Waldeck also put himself on the scoreboard to put Stony Brook ahead 9-7.

Girsh responded once again for the Saints a minute and a half later. Matt Leithead (Mahopac, N.Y./Mahopac), a freshman midfielder, found Girsh open on the left side of the cage. Girsh took the feed, used a stick fake to get Callahan off balance in goal and sent a shot into the back of the net.

Siena's defensive unit also stepped up to the challenge presented to them this afternoon. The Saints man-down defensive squad shutdown a Stony Brook man advantage opportunity at the 4:51 mark in the fourth. Soon thereafter, a Duch turnover gave Siena one last opportunity.

The Saints took a timeout with 1:39 on the clock. Just seven seconds later, Zarins drove behind the cage and found Duggan open on the left side who connected on his third goal of the contest and sent the game into overtime.

The tenacious Montgomery won the opening face-off in OT giving Siena the first opportunity to end the contest. However, a Siena turnover on the offensive end set the stage for Stony Brook. With 1:42 on the clock, Owens sent a bounce shot into the back of the net to give the Seawolves a 10-9 victory.

Montgomery was dominant on face-offs this afternoon going 16-for-21. He also managed a game-high 13 groundballs.

The Saints were perfect on clears this afternoon as they went 17-for-17.

The loss snaps a four game Siena winning streak. The Saints look to rebound on Saturday when they return to MAAC competition against Wagner College in Loudonville. Game time is set for 2 p.m.