Saint Joseph's vs. Lehigh
February 28, 2006
The Game Story:
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Senior captain Jeff Wiener recorded a hat trick and also dished out two assists, while three other Mountain Hawks, Steve Marino, Blake Best and David Gaunt, each scored twice, to lift Lehigh to an 11-5 victory over St. Joe’s on Tuesday in the City of Brotherly Love. With the win, the Brown and White improves to 2-1 on the young season, while the Hawks fall to 0-4.

Marino added two assists on the afternoon, as did Best, in a game where Lehigh out shot its counterpart 32-20 and won 11 of 20 face offs. The Mountain Hawks were 15 of 17 in clear attempts, two of nine on man-up opportunities and held a 28-16 advantage in ground balls.

Lehigh got on the board for the first time when David Gaunt took a pass from Marino at the 13:59 mark of the first quarter and scored. The Mountain Hawks would up their lead to 2-0 with just 59 seconds remaining in the quarter when Gaunt scored again, this time off of a pass from Alec Hoof and Lehigh went up by two scores.

In the second quarter, Lehigh again started strong, going up 3-0 on the strength of a goal by Wiener just 1:59 in. David Walsh assisted on the score. Wiener then struck again, this time at the 2:44 mark, off of an assist from Blake Best and the Brown and White found itself ahead 4-0. St. Joe’s finally scored with just eight ticks left, on a man-down goal by Alex Lopes, making the score 4-1 in favor of the Mountain Hawks heading into halftime.

As the second half began, the Hawks came out as the aggressor, and scored first, when Keegan Wilkinson took a pass from Steve O’Brien and beat Mountain Hawk goal keeper John Park just 1:27 in. That made the count 4-2 in favor of the Brown and White. From there however, Lehigh took control, going in front 5-2 on a Best to Marino connection with 9:34 to go in the quarter. Marino then scored again, this one assisted by Wiener, in a man-up situation, to give the visitors a 6-2 lead with 8:52 remaining.

St. Joe’s would cut the lead in half when Alex McColough scored his first goal of the day, but Hoof came right back and upped the lead back to four at 7-3, when he scored a goal of his own, at the 4:55 mark of the third. After a Hawks goal again cut the lead to just three at 7-4, Mike Moran got into the act, scoring his second goal of the season at the 2:08 mark, and Lehigh went up 8-4. After the ensuing face off, and successful clear attempt, Best upped that lead to 9-4 with his first goal of the afternoon, with just 43 ticks left in the third.

The fourth quarter started slow with neither team able to do much on offense until the midway point. It was then that Lehigh’s Jeff King was called for a cross check, giving St. Joe’s the one-man advantage, and the Hawks responded with a goal, cutting the Mountain Hawks lead to just four at 9-5 with 7:40 remaining. Lehigh answered back though, scoring with 6:27 to go, which pushed the lead back to a comfortable five-goal margin at 10-5.

A penalty on St. Joe’s with 3:48 to go then gave Lehigh a one-man advantage, and the Brown and White did not disappoint, as Marino fed Wiener for his third score of the game, and the Mountain Hawks were cruising, up 11-5 with just 2:51 to play.

King scooped up a team-best nine ground balls for the Brown and White, while Tom Weiss recorded five. Park again went the distance in goal for the Mountain Hawks, recording three saves to pick up his second victory of the season.

Lehigh returns to action Saturday afternoon when the Mountain Hawks welcome the No. 16 Army Black Knights to the Ulrich Sports Complex. Game time is set for 1:00.