Stony Brook vs. Hartford
April 12, 2008
The Game Story:
Stony Brook, N.Y. - Trailing by a goal after three quarters of play, the Stony Brook men's lacrosse team came up with a big fourth quarter effort when it needed it, out scoring Hartford 5-0 as it took an 11-7 win over the Hawks. Senior Bo Tripodi (Hauppauge, N.Y.) scored the game-winner for the Seawolves three minutes into the fourth off an assist from Kevin Crowley (New Westminster, British Columbia).

"Overall our defense played well," said Stony Brook head coach Rick Sowell. "I thought we did a nice job. It was a recipe for an upset; we were not winning face-offs, Hartford had a deliberate offense and we were not doing much on the offensive end. But our guys hung in there and in the fourth quarter stepped up and did what we had to do to win the game."

In a slow paced first quarter Stony Brook (6-4, 2-1 America East) picked up what turned out to be the only score in the first when freshman Jordan McBride (New Westminster, British Columbia) scored on a shot midway through the quarter off an assist from senior Bobby Trenkle (Commack, N.Y.). The Seawolves upped their lead to 2-0 on goal by senior Owen Adams (Norwalk, Conn.) midway through the second before Hartford (0-11, 0-3 America East) got on the board at the 5:41 mark on a goal from Vinny Pellizzi.

McBride made it 3-1 in favor of Stony Brook a minute and a half later, but Hartford came back with two scores in the final 2:37 to send the game into a 3-3 tie at the half.

Seven minutes into the third Hartford took its first lead of the night when Brian Tilley scored unassisted. Stony Brook came back with back-to-back goals, retaking the lead at 5-4 when Adams put away his second of the game at the 5:21 mark. The Hawks tied things up again just 18 seconds later, but the Seawolves answered and went back on top, 6-5, with four minutes left on a Crowley goal. The Hawks came back again, however, as Tilley scored twice in the final two minutes to give Hartford a lead for a second time, 7-6

Down one, it took Stony Brook just a minute and half to knot things up for the fifth time of the game when McBride got the equalizer off a Crowley assist. Another minute and a half later Tripodi put the Seawolves back on top, this time for good. The Stony Brook defense did the rest, holding Hartford to just three shots over the final 15 minutes while sophomore Alex Kajencki (Medford, Mass.) made two key saves in goal in the quarter. McBride, Adams and Crowley put the finishing touches on the game with goals in the final 11:28 of the contest.

McBride finished with four goals to lead Stony Brook, moving his team-best season total to 34. Crowley finished with six points to lead the Seawolves, netting three goals and leading the team with three assists. Adams finished with three goals and an assist for SBU, which reached double figures in goals for the ninth time in 10 outings this season. Adams and sophomore Steven Waldeck (Levittown, N.Y.) each had six ground balls to lead the Seawolves in that category. Tilley led Hartford with four goals

Stony Brook will take to the road for another America East game next week, traveling to Binghamton on Saturday, April 19 for a 2:00 p.m. game with the Bearcats.