Stony Brook vs. Lehigh
March 24, 2007
The Game Story:
Stony Brook, N.Y. - Brendan Callahan stopped a Michael Zurhluf shot with five seconds remaining as the No. 20 Stony Brook University men's lacrosse team held off Lehigh, 10-9, in front of 1,402 at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium on Saturday afternoon. With the win, the third in a row for SB, the Seawolves improve to 4-1 while Lehigh falls to 2-5.

"I am very happy to get out of here with a win today," said head coach Rick Sowell. "Lehigh threw everything they had at us but we were able to make the plays down the stretch to win the contest."

Stony Brook held a 10-7 advantage with 3:38 remaining in the game after Larry Cerasi buried his third goal of the game. However, the Mountain Hawks would not go away as Alec Hooff's bounce shot beat Callahan high with 1:08 remaining. After Michael Tabb won the ensuing face-off, Jeff Weiner found Stephen Marino cutting to the right side of the crease to cut the Seawolves lead to one with 43 seconds remaining. Tabb won the next face-off and after a timeout by Lehigh, Callahan snuffed out Zurhluf's shot from the right side to seal the victory.

The Seawolves jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead after goals from Cerasi and Ryan Hughes scored 31 seconds apart. Marino connected with Wiener at the 9:53 mark to cut the home squad's advantage to one. With 12 seconds left in the first quarter, Rhys Duch found Hughes on the left side and Hughes blistered a shot from 10 yards out to give SB a 3-1 after 15 minutes of play.

The Mountain Hawks outscored the Seawolves 3-2 in the second quarter as the visitors trailed 5-4 heading into the locker room. Bobby Trenkle and Cerasi provided the scoring for the Seawolves in the stanza.

A man-up tally from Duch 2:38 into the second half extended the Seawolves lead to 6-4 before Sean Chamberlain found Bo Tripodi all alone on the right side of the cage. Tripodi connected on his first of two goals of the game to close out the scoring in the third quarter with 3:19 remaining.

After holding the Mountain Hawks scoreless the entire third period, Lehigh netted two goals in the first two minutes of the final period to trail 7-6. Once again, Hughes answered on a man-up goal with 10:20 left to give the Seawolves a two-goal advantage. Lehigh would not go away, this time a goal from Matt Diehl at the eight-minute mark, brought the visitors within one. Tripodi and Cerasi's goals gave SB a 10-7 lead before the Hawks mounted their furious comeback.

Hughes finished the day with five points off three goals and a pair of assists while Cerasi had his second-three goal game in a row to go along with an assist. Tripodi had two goals and an assist while Duch and Trenkle added a goal and an assist. Callahan finished with 13 saves in the game.

Marino finished with 2 goals and two assists for Lehigh.

The Seawolves return to action when they hit the road to open up America East play at Vermont on Saturday, March 31 at 1:00 p.m.